Bandsaw: Grizzly G0555 or Craftsman 22401?

My wife wants to buy me MY FIRST bandsaw for Christmas, so I'm trying to decide between the Grizzly G0555 or the Craftsman 22400. Both are 14" models, have a 13.5" distance to the frame, cast iron tables, 1 HP motors, roller guide bearings, etc.

The main differences I can see between the two are the resaw capacity, and the fence.

The Grizzly only has a 6" resaw capacity, but an optional ($$$) riser block could increase that to 12". While the Craftsman has an 8" resaw capacity right out of the box. That's 2 inches more than the Grizzly, but there is no way to upgrade later, short of replacing the saw.

And the fence on the Craftsman seems a little weak, compared to the Grizzly.

The G0555 would cost me $469 delivered, but we live up in the mountains and a semi would never make it down our driveway. So I'd probably have to go pick it up somewhere. And I'm a little nervous about ordering a saw I've never seen before.

The Craftsman is on sale for $429 at Sears, and would be easy to pick up and haul home.

The Grizzly appears to take common 93.5" blades, but I haven't been able to determine what length blades the Craftsman takes. I don't really want to have to special order blades when I need them.

The Craftsman costs less, would be easier to pick up, has a larger resaw capacity at the same price, and I've actually played around with one at the store.

The Grizzly costs a bit more, I have some concerns about delivery, the resaw capacity is less without the riser block, and I've never actually seen one other than online.

Which would you choose, and why? Any items I'm missing in my comparison?

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Have you ever resawn anything? For me, 6" is plenty of capacity with a 1hp motor.

Reply to
Toller

I don't have a recommendation between these two... but the last time I was in the market for a bandsaw, Grizzly gave me a list of several people in the area who owned the model I was looking at, and had agreed to be contacted. You might check with them and see if they still do that. You might be able to see one, and try it hands on, before you buy.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Craftsman 12 in. Band Saw Sears item #00922400000 Mfr. model #BAS300 $299.99

in. band saw with steel frame construction for reduced deflection under full blade tension. Blade included. Upper and lower blade bearing guides reduce friction and increase blade life. Blade tension and tracking windows let you quickly view the blade tension and tracking without opening the doors. Cast aluminum wheels. Ball bearing blade guides have microadjust knobs that allows the userto set them easily.

a.. Table tilts 0-45 deg. to left for angle cutting a.. Cut hardwood softwood and non ferrous metal a.. Features (2) 3/8 x 3/4 in. standard "T" slots a.. Balanced cast wheels for strength and rigidity a.. The cast iron table is large and stable providing a solid work surface a.. Tire cleaning brush - Helps keep band wheel free of build up extending blade life a.. Steel stand provides stable support a.. Table fence - Securely support workpieces for accurate ripping a.. Work light - Keeps work area well lit for accurate, safe cutting a.. Dust collection system (Port) - Improved dust collection for safe removal of sawdust a.. Blade range is 1/8 to 1/2" a.. The saw has a 7" resaw capacity that is larger than 12" and 14" C frameband saws w/o riser block.

Product Overview: Band Saw Type Stationary Band Saw Blade: Length

89-1/2 in. General Features: Saw Type Band saw Table Dimensions 20-3/8 x 15-3/4 in. Table Material Cast iron Table Tilt Range Left 0-45 deg. Cutting Tool: Blade Width Range 1/8 to 1/2 in. Depth Of Throat 12 in. Fence Type Adjustable for drift Guide Yes Motor-Engine: Amps 7.0 Horsepower 3/4 hp Speed Capability 2 speed Speed Range FPM 1450/3000 fpm Voltage 120 volts Convenience: Dust Collection 2-1/2 and 4 in. dust port Tasklight Yes Installation Requirements: Setup Assembly may be required Included with Item: Dust Chute Yes, dust port Miter Gauge No Saw Blade(s) Yes Stand Yes

Grizzly G0555 The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw $425.00 $395.00

Blade Length

Measured by the circumference, blade lengths

are usually unique to the brand of your bandsaw

and the distance between wheels. The Model

G0555 is designed for blades that are 921?2" long.

Refer to the current Grizzly catalog for prices and

ordering information.

Truck Freight Orders (Machinery over 70 lbs.)

We have a flat rate shipping program for those items over 70 lbs so you know the exact cost. This program applies only to the lower 48 states.

Orders outside the continental U.S. (Alaska and Hawaii) will be quoted at current rates. Items are shipped via parcel post, first class mail, or barge. Any special handling costs or shipping fees are added to your order. Please note we do not ship outside the United States.

Since Grizzly does business with several freight companies in great volume, we negotiate substantial discounts that the average, one time customer cannot receive. In order for you to receive these discounted freight rates from Grizzly, we must charge for the freight up front and ship your order to you prepaid.

Please note: The trucking company will notify you prior to delivery to make arrangements. Truck drivers are subject to a number of regulations, one of which is that they are not required to give any assistance in unloading. Please be prepared for this "curbside" delivery, as you are responsible for unloading the item(s) and placing them in your shop. This normally takes a number of people.

We recommend that you make arrangements with the trucking company to take delivery at the freight terminal if you can. They will load the item onto your vehicle. Make sure your vehicle is capable of handling the weight. Also, bring plenty of tie downs to properly secure the load.

I work full time and there is no one home to receive or sign for the freight. What are my options?

Usually, the freight company will call you to arrange an appropriate delivery time. It is very common for customers to pick up their order at the freight terminal at their own convenience.

Top of Page

Grizzly Tax Information

Orders shipped to Washington, Pennsylvania, and Missouri have all applicable local and state sales taxes added to the total order and to shipping charges where appropriate.

begin 666 store_pickup.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`,0>`!M4F9FSTOO]_GN[+/&W62+NKO,X1%, ME3MMJ#-FI#9II?;X^]SE[W27P>'I\HVJS%: LT%PJCEKIZ.ZUK?)W\_;ZLK7 MY_/V^BQAH09$D ```.3K\____R'Y! $``!X`+ `````/``\```5WH"=Z$D5P MS&",8[ @B?-E@S*P`5!\?!\Q$%&$L^-UCCP/X$!"]#I&Z,

Reply to
resrfglc

Sorry searched on WRONG SEARS #:

Blade Len=99-3/4 in

14 in. band saw with steel frame construction for reduced deflection under full blade tension. Blade included. Upper and lower blade bearing guides reduce friction and increase blade life. Blade tension and tracking windows let you quickly view the blade tension and tracking without opening the doors. Cast iron wheels.

a.. Table tilts 0-45 deg. to left for angle cutting a.. Cut hardwood softwood and non ferrous metal a.. Features (2) 3/8 x 3/4 in. standard "T" slots a.. Balanced cast iron wheels for strength and rigidity a.. The cast iron table is large and stable providing a solid work surface a.. Tire cleaning brush - Helps keep band wheel free of build up extending blade life a.. Steel stand provides stable support a.. Table fence - Securely support workpieces for accurate ripping a.. Work light - Keeps work area well lit for accurate, safe cutting a.. Dust collection system (Port) - Improved dust collection for safe removal of sawdust a.. The ball bearing blade guides have microadjust knobs that allows the userto set them easily a.. The saw has a 8" resaw capacity

Blade: Length

99-3/4 in. General Features: Saw Type Band saw Table Dimensions 20-3/8 x 15-3/4 in. Table Material Cast iron Table Tilt Range Left 0-45 deg. Cutting Tool: Blade Width Range 1/8 to 3/4 in. Depth Of Throat 13-5/8 in. Fence Type Adjustable for drift Guide Yes Motor-Engine: Amps 11/5.5 Horsepower 1 hp Speed Capability 2 speed Speed Range FPM 1620/3340 fpm Voltage 120/240 volts Convenience: Dust Collection 2-1/2 and 4 in. dust port Tasklight Yes Installation Requirements: Setup Assembly may be required Included with Item: Dust Chute Yes, dust port Miter Gauge No Saw Blade(s) Yes

begin 666 store_pickup.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`,0>`!M4F9FSTOO]_GN[+/&W62+NKO,X1%, ME3MMJ#-FI#9II?;X^]SE[W27P>'I\HVJS%: LT%PJCEKIZ.ZUK?)W\_;ZLK7 MY_/V^BQAH09$D ```.3K\____R'Y! $``!X`+ `````/``\```5WH"=Z$D5P MS&",8[ @B?-E@S*P`5!\?!\Q$%&$L^-UCCP/X$!"]#I&Z,

Reply to
resrfglc

Hi Toller,

No, I have never resawn anything before, so I don't really know what to look for. All I can really do is compare specs, and hope I made a good choice before I really know what I'm doing. That's why I thought I'd ask the opinions of others here who have a bit more experience.

If future projects are anything like my past projects, I'll mostly be working with pine, cedar, and poplar. Probably no exotic hardwoods or anything, but who knows...

I don't need the best of the best, I just want a good solid machine I can learn on and expand my woodworking capabilities.

Thanks!

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I have the G0555 w/riser - takes a 105" blade which is available from most blade supply houses like Olsen, Timberwolf, etc.

Had an old model Sears - no comparison - the Griz beats it by a mile. I've looked at the new Craftsman Bandsaws when in the store and they do NOT seem as sturdy as the Griz. Also, I installed the riser but in 2 years I've never resawn anything larger than 6".

Also, I added a heavy duty tension spring from Iturra Designs although the original seemed to work fine but I wanted to try a 3/4" blade on the Griz.

I'd still go for the Griz again if I had to do it over.

HTH,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

I can't speak specifically to either of these bandsaws, though I have an older Griz 16" model which I'm happy with, and I've heard good things about that Craftsman. I can speak to resaw capacity and blade length, so I will, briefly... my current saw has a resaw cap of about 8", but I haven't yet needed to do more than 4" or so. That much hasn't even slowed the saw down (1.5hp, 220V), so I don't doubt the saw could do it, but unless you're planning to make a lot of your own veneers or rough out large bowls for turning, I think 8" would be plenty for most people. As far as blade length, you WILL want to special order them to get good ones, which are generally welded to whatever size anyway. I've been very happy with Iturra Designs (customer service and quality), but you need to call them (google for 800#) as they don't have a website. If you call them up and tell them what you need to do, they should be able to recommend a blade or 3 to suit your needs. And request their catalog - tons of info there. Good luck - from what I've heard, either of those saws will make you a happy woodworker. Oh - I'd definitely recommend getting one of Duginske's bandsaw books - lots of info about setup, tuning, blade selection, etc. Well worth it. Andy

Reply to
Andy

I sold my Craftsman in a garage sale and bought the G0555 with riser block and a 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4" blades with it and also the mobile base. I soon will buy their new resaw fence. They have the saw on sale for $395 now. I could not be happier with my G0555. My question to you is why buy a crapsman?

Reply to
Will

I can't comment on the Craftsman as I've not used/seen one. That being said, I can attest to the performance of the G0555. I've got one and added the riser block to it. Don't bother with Grizzly's blades, they're not the best. Another poster mentioned not having to resaw more than 6". Just yesterday I had to resaw 10" wide Cherry so it definitely does happen. I've been happy with mine to date (had it about 3 years) and Grizzly's customer service is outstanding. A lot of folks bash Craftsman but you may just find a fine saw in their 22400. Good luck with it. cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I got a 22401 a few weeks ago. You can find my comments and some related discussion at .

Works fine on everything I've thrown at it. Get the three-blade set from Sears for 50 bucks--they're all decent blades. Uses a 99-3/4 inch blade, which is an odd size--if you're not buying from Sears you'll need to have them custom made.

The fence actually works better than one would expect. Doesn't mean that it's a great fence, but it definitely works.

Note that it comes in one box that weighs close to 300 pounds and unpacking it still leaves you with one heavy piece. You _can_ set it up solo but it's a lot easier with a helper or two.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I just recently purchased my first bandsaw also. A Grizzly G0555. Before I settled on this, I noticed the local Wood Craft was having a bandsaw class ($45). I learned some good tips and tricks for setting up and tuning these things. If there's a Wood Craft store near you, and they offer this class, you might want to take advantage of it, before you settle on which saw to buy.

One thing in particular, from the class, really got my attention. That was which saws have a tension quick release. The Grizzly G0555 does. Not all the 14" saws out there do. If you don't have this feature, it's not the end of the world, but it's going to make using the saw a lot more tedious. I've never owned a bandsaw before, so I hadn't been aware that when the saw is not in use, the tension should be removed from the blade. If the saw does not have a quick release, you've got to put a mark on the saw with some tape to keep track of where the blade should be tensioned, and then perhaps a post-it note to keep track of how many turns of the knob it takes to release and apply the tension.

From looking at the specs for the Craftsman, via the web site, I couldn't tell if it has a quick release or not. I also couldn't locate a manual for the Craftsman saw at the saw web page. On Grizzly's site, they've got PDF versions of all their manuals on the same page as the tools. I took advantage of this when I was making my decsion and spent some time going over the G0555 manual.

I bought the riser block with my saw, but I haven't installed it yet. I want to get more familiar with the saw before I change it around. But when the time comes I need more resaw capacity--I'll all ready have the riser block.

I have done a little resawing with the G0555 using a Timberwolf 1/2"

3TPI blade, and it seems to do a pretty good job.

The Grizzly also has an optional resaw fence[1] available as well.

When I ordered my G0555, I took the option of picking it up at the truck depot. I knew that if the truck showed up at my house, I'd never be able to wrangle it out the back of a semi-trailer and I didn't want to pay extra for a lift-gate truck. When I picked it up at the depot, they acutally loaded it in the back of my pick-up for me (via fork lift). The saw comes in one box and that comes to right at 200 pounds.

According to the Craftsman web site, it appears they are 99-3/4". So they don't appear to be all that standard. The 93-1/2" blades though are pretty standard.

I'm happy with the G0555. I'm still learning how to use it, but I'm impressed with it and it seems to be well made.

As mentioned above, you should look into whether any saw you're interested in has a quick release feature. Also you may want to consider getting a mobile base for the saw. With the G0555, after building its stand, I had to get help to lift the saw itself up onto the stand. I bought a mobile base for mine also, so I thought ahead and assembled the mobile base, before mounting the saw to the stand. Without a mobile base, that saw is going to stay in one place.

[1]:
Michael Faurot

Keep in mind that some people dislike roller guide bearings. With the Grizzly you can get an inexpensive set of replacement holders that will let you use cool blocks. I emailed Sears to see if such an option existed on theirs and they replied that they couldn't answer technical questions and wanted me to ask the company that builds it for them. That response pretty much turned me off right there. I ended up buying the Delta.

On the Grizzly the motor mounts to the frame of the saw, so I believe you are locked into buying this special motor if you ever have to replace it down the line, and won't be able to upgrade to anything over 1 hp. I could be wrong, that's what it looks like in the parts list though. I'm not sure how the Craftsman mounts. On the Delta the motor hangs in the stand and is just a standard NEMA mount.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Michael,

I don't recall seeing one on the Craftsman today, unless I happened to overlook it.

Thank you for your comments. Based on what I've read here and a little more research, I think I'm starting to lean towards the Grizzly. I like the standard blade size, the ability to add a riser block in the future, and the better fence.

I emailed Grizzly to find out where the closest trucking terminal is. Hopefully they'll respond quickly and I can get the saw ordered.

Thanks!

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I wouldn't buy this saw based on the "better fence". It's ok but isn't better than what you can buy aftermarket (ie. Kreg) or cobble together yourself. It's a good saw and has worked well for me but the fence isn't what I would consider a selling point. I just put on my riser block and

105" blades are plentiful. It's working well. I did purchase the brackets to replace the rollers with cool blocks but haven't installed them yet. I think the brackets were like $2 each or something close to that. Cheers, cc
Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Nope, there's no quick release.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Enjoy the new saw!

As it sounds like your situation is similar to mine--new to using a bandsaw check out this link:

is a video of David Mark's woodshop. In the second part of it, he demonstrates a band saw tune-up. There's a couple of neat tips in there and I'm planing to try and emulate the brush he mounted to the inside of his saw to clean the tires. You can also read a transcript with pictures at this link:

know DIY Network rotates these things in and out on a regular basis, so if you're interested--don't wait too long or it might be gone.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

"if you're not buying from Sears you'll need to have them (99 3/4" BS Blades) custom made."

I went searching for this size and found 100" stock blades available. Would

1/4" prove significant? That is, can one vary the blade length by 1/400th of the specified length or so with impunity ? Or are the tools so designed that a difference in height of such a small amount would impact the operation of the tool?

.
Reply to
resrfglc

The 99-3/4" blades are a tight fit--I suspect that the 100s will do fine, but haven't tried one personally so can't swear to it.

.
Reply to
J. Clarke

"Michael Faurot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.news:

I had an excuse to be in David's shop a couple of summers ago, for maybe

20 minutes. The fellow knows bandsaws pretty well. He had 4 or 5 of them there, in various corners of the shop. You don't often run into 30"+ sized bandsaws.

BTW, some of his 'non-WoodWorks' pieces are absolutely freaking amazing!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch