Bandsaw Fences: Which do you like?

Page 1 of 2

I just bought a like-new Jet 14" BS JWBS-14X loaded with everything including Iturra Spring/Wheel Brush, 5 Timberwolf blades, a 6" riser, and the only thing I need is a fence.
So other than the OEM Jet fence, there's the Kreig, the Mule, the Delta Universal, and what else? Even though I don't see a lot of resawing down the road, I do like the idea of a T-Slot fence that can mount sacrificial boards or the resaw bump. Rockler has a full 24" table and fence setup for the same price as the Kreig.
Just wondered if there are any opinions. The Cast iron table is 15" X 15".
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote: ...

Naw, no opinions here. Heh.
I find for regular use a couple of c-clamps and a jointed board works really really well. Stuff coming off the BS needs clean-up anyway; having some fancy fence that is super-precise and sings and dances is total waste, IMO. YMMV.
PK
I would look at what this guy did...
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /
Ken is VERY creative.
snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet... Did the Iturra brushes come installed? If not, how was installation?
Is there improved dust collection over the stock model? Anything besides the 2 1/2" hose connection under the table?

I went with the OEM fence for my JWBS-14. It's OK and does the job. Obviously, mounting is pretty easy. There's a scale, but it's definiately a "guess, saw, measure, tap/tap, saw measure, tap/tap" fence. The construction components seem solid. It locks down well. I don't use the plastic resaw guide/insert.
If I could put that "bullet back in the gun", I'd probably try Duginske's (sp?) which is now a Kreg, I believe.
<snip>

And if I had the $100 back I spent on the parts of that kit, I'd use the c- clamp and jointed stick approach mentioned earlier. It isn't bad at all, but it is no better, in my somewhat limited experience.
Spend the cash on a selection of quality blades.
Patriarch

Be careful! Ya' know - logic like that just might stall the US Economy! :)
<snip>

Rest assured, the cash would be reinvested into more tools. In fact, I was just looking at upgrading some of the seriously cheap beginner turning tools that I have. I made the 'mistake' of buying a couple of really nice P&N bowl gouges (Aussie-made, purchased from my favorite Kanukistani tool dealer) It'a amazing just how quickly the 'starter set' tools dull on the same project.
And then there's the 'good lathe' question, yet to be answered...
Patriarch
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:06:29 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch

I have a feeling that all chisels, even the good and expensive jobs, would need honing during a long session with dried hardwoods. In terms of wood-feet cut, an hour at the lathe is like a week in the shop with a hand chisel.

Oh, the $79.95 HF special, of course. [Unless you find a pristine(?) example of a Powr-Kraft lathe like I did for $15.]
Added Bonus Link:
Today's safety URL is entitled "How To Cut Your Thumb Off." http://www.mini-lathe.com/thumb.htm
======================================================= Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications =======================================================
<snip>

There is a story, possibly apocryphal, of the Japanese master, who re-honed his plane blade after each, nearly perfect cut.
I am after a different operating plan.
Oh, and back to the topic which originally spawned this thread: To cut turning blanks on the bandsaw, I have to remove parts of the Fast track fence anyhow, losing whatever drift adjustment I'd carefully (yeah, right) put in, with the micro adjustable feature.
Re: HF: Larry, I know it's your favorite toy store, but the place makes my skin crawl. I already have a lathe whose limitations were reached almost immediately. I don't want to buy another loser, at any price. It would either need to be stored, sold, given away or otherwise disposed of in short order. Then where are the savings?
Patriarch
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:35:50 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch

A Zen anal-retentive? What a curious combo! ;)

Grok that. We all want to sharpen once and work from then on without ever having to hone again. Unfortunately, nature has a different idea.

So scribe the drift angle into the top. It'll reset more quickly.

Got crowbars? Get off your butt, refi the house, and go buy a nice little Nova or Oneway. See if I care. ;)
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------

Use, wear, abuse, cutting green wood for turning blanks, the phase angle of the moon, the autocompensation feature of the saw for operator attitude/patience. It's not that big a deal, and easily adjusted back to the line scribed on the table. If it hasn't been worn/cleaned off.
It's no big deal. Only for resaw is this bandsaw ever asked to be a real precision cutting tool, and then, not so much recently. It's a Jet 16, and it's really a 'tweener saw. Bigger than a 14", but not really much bigger. It's certainly not the Laguna or MiniMax I had in my plans, when the wife decided she needed a new quilting machine. And she did, so the bandsaw purchase was scaled back to more rational levels.
Patriarch
<snip>

Thank you for permission, kind sir. The wife agrees, too. Nice how that works out.
The consensus among my analog woodworking friends seems to be that the sweet spot for those who primarily turn, and not much else, that the Powermatic 3520a is a great lathe for the substantial money. Most of these folks sell at least some of their turned work.
For those who also do cabinetry, boxes and furniture, and so need more room in the shop, the Nova 3000 family seems to fit quite well. Capable, flexible, and more modest in size, but expandable as needed.
I don't forsee needing the Powermatic. Or anything in the Oneway range.
Patriarch
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:38:47 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch

Jewelcome. Send my commission via check or Paypal, please.
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------

tires... the slight bend this produces causes drift... I've noticed that tracking, blade size and murphys law can change the drift... (if ya get my drift *groan* )
As I learned from Charlie's site, an easy method is to find a chunk of something with a known square edge, scribe a straight line down the middle of it, square to/with the good edge, and cut along the line until you're half way though the stock (or about 6 or 7").. hold on to the stock and turn off the saw..
You'll see that (usually) the square edge of the stock is not square with your miter slot or fence... scribe a line on the table along the square edge and set your fence to that line/angle..
Disclaimer: I've had a band saw for a few months and use it mostly for bowl blanks.. if you hurt yourself or ruin wood/saw blades using the above comments, feel free to sue for the same amount that you paid for the advice..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You got it wrong. The reason the blade leads (or doesn't) is the blade, not the wheels on the saw, where improper centering of blade on crown, or moving crown can cause "surge" as it rotates.
Think of how far from those wheels you're cutting, and how little the blade needs to spring to compensate.
Now consider how a bit of imbalance in the set/sharpness/deburring, etc. of the teeth will cause greater drag on one side, right in the cut, where it counts.

I did.. BTW, I made my own version of his table and fence and it works great.. http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Resawing1.html
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I installed the Iturra brushes on my Jet, and it was VERY easy. Like - a minute or two. I think I needed to drill a small pilot hole. Well worth the $6.
Pat...
Yes, Jet listened to the complaints and they tweaked this model good. It has a easy to use tension release lever, cast iron wheels, 1 HP motor, and a 4" standard dust port.
The package deal I bought came with a mobile base, an Iturra tension spring, the 6" factory riser installed, and the Iturra brush installed. On top of that I got five new timberwolf blades with it, so I have a full range of blades right up to 3/4", and wheel shims in case I need them.
It runs real nice, but I may put a link belt on it just to make it even smoother. So you can see... the only thing I could put on it is a magnetic light and a fence... but we'll see what the consensus is. I think I'd rather buy a fence and use it, than spend a weekend making one plus spending the money on the track.
Mike
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:37:16 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Mike - was that a local deal you picked up ?
jim

Jim...
Yes... I guess patience is a virtue and will be rewarded. I started out thinking about a 12" BS, ordered a Hitachi at Lowes that never showed up until yesterday! I of course had canceled. I missed out on two locals, a sweet Delta platinum that was also loaded and a nice Jet that was on eBay (local) where I was outbid in the last 3 seconds by $5. So I decided to wait, posted a WTB on woodnet, and had two offers, one for a Delta and a one for the Jet.
The minute I saw the Jet I said yes.
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:20:34 GMT, "Jim Bailey"