bandsaw dust collecting

I've ordered a new Jet 16" b/s. My old bandsaw had no dust collection port and I use to wheel it outside when I had allot of cutting to do. The new Jet has a 4" port for dust collection.My question is simply how well does it work? I'd like to station it towards the back of my garage/shop. I've thought about attaching a downdraft table. I don't have the saw yet.....just brainstorming a layout for the shop.
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 12:57:42 GMT, "mel"

You are lucky to have a 4" port! I had to make a wooden "doughnut" to fit on my Delta 14," but it works great.
I followed a tip in a book about improving dust collection on a bandsaw. I drilled four 1/8" holes along each slot in the throat plate. Another tip... I rigged a small brass bristle brush with counterweights to ride on the bandsaw tires to help keep them clean. Dust can put a bandsaw out of wack. I'd still use the DC on the bandsaw, even when using it outdoors just to keep it running clean. A powerful DC is a must for bandsaw work.
Great tip! I was wondering the same thing with a new to me 14" bandsaw I just got yesterday. Kevin
wrote:

port
Jet
the jet comes with brushes to keep the tire clean

I disagree. With a shopvac and a little duct tape very little material even makes it to the bottom wheel of my 14inch saw. It's all collected just below the table.

port
Jet
I've got an 18" Jet and the dust collection works fine... very little ends up in the lower "cabinet" and a small amount accumulates under the table on top of the cabinet.
John