Bandsaw Choice: Jet or Powermatic

I am about to buy my first bandsaw. I think that a 14" saw with a riser will be big enough. I have narrowed the choice to 2 quite different machines. The Jet 710115K, at $599 seems to be a good balance of price and quality. The Powermatic is also a great machine, but is more expensive at $899.

However, the Powermatic comes with a good fence, miter, lamp, Carter Quick-Tension release, dual bearing blade guides, etc. Just the fence, miter, and lamp would add about $135 to the price, making the price difference between the two saws "only" $165. But that seems like a reasonable price to pay for the added features like the better blade guide, somewhat more powerful motor, etc.

I have a Jet drill press and a Powermatic jointer and like them both. Any thoughts on whether the choice and whether the Powermatic is worth the added cost. Thanks?

Reply to
tzipple

I have the Powermatic and LOVE it. I had a Delta, which in MY opinion was an unmitigated piece of crap. You get the light, the blower, a large table, and great performance. The Jet is too much like the Delta for my tastes. I was using my BS yesterday and smiling the whole time, knowing I was astute enough to send the Delta unit back for a full refund. Those who haven't used one don't know what I'm talking about. As Sledgehammer used to say, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!".

David

tzipple wrote:

Reply to
David

Worth it? Sure, if you have the money. Only you know how much it will be used and how much money you have to spend.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The Powermatic also has a larger motor and the wheels are much more substantial. I think the price difference largely represents fair price for significant additional value.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

The Carter Quick-Tension release is $149 if bought separately. Wouldn't mind having one of those on my BS.

TWS

TWS

The Delta 28-475X an unmitigated piece of crap? I don't think so. Which Delta did you have? What blade(s)? We need to compare apples to apples here.

Is your Powermatic the same horsepower as the delta you had?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Not as a purchase decision, but get Louis Iturra's catalog. Aside from being a catalog, it is very informative about 14" bandsaws. I think that the email is snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com. The book is very skewed toward Delta but pertinent to any brand.

Also, look into Mark Duginske's Band Saw Handbook.

I have just completed rebuilding an old Delta/Rockwell and found both of these sources very handy.

Good luck.

Eric

ps. Don't assume that the saw you buy is tuned up and ready to go out of the box. You will need to fine tune it. There is lots of good advice in the books and on this forum. The latest Fine Woodworking magazine has an article (I am citing heresay. I haven't picked it up yet) about bandsaw tuning that is different from conventional process.

Reply to
mnterpfan

I had more problems with the saw than I have patience to write about. YES, it was a POS. In a nutshell, defective base, unresolved vibration, lousy guide system, no light, no blower, flimsy and useless dustport, no quick release, AND it cost me MORE than the Powermatic! It was a no-brainer to return it. The Powermatic was a few months away from production when I got the Delta, so I was w/o a BS for a little while longer. But, boy, was it worth the wait! :)

Blades? Doesn't matter, I've used a variety of blades, and some of the same blades on both saws. The Powermatic is hands-down a more enjoyable, quiet, accurate saw. Tracking is superb for either narrow or wider blades. I use Olsen AllPro's and Olsen regular blades. I know there are better blades out there, but they work FINE for me.

1.5 HP, each.

I can see you are a skeptic. That's because you haven't used both saws.

David

Never Enough M> The Delta 28-475X an unmitigated piece of crap? I don't think so.

Reply to
David

Yes, I am a skeptic. Not because I disbelieve you. I beleive you had the experience you say you had. Rather, it's because at least four of my woodworking buddies love their Delta 1.5 HP machines. They sing it's praises. Have they compared with the Powermatic? I don't know.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Reply to
tzipple

Which Delta? Some are, some aren't.

The X5 has different (heavier & more spokes) wheels, more horsepower, and several other improvements, than the cheaper Delta models. In a head to head comparison, which included cutting some wood, I chose the X5 over the Powermatic. It was a close race, and I think either saw will do an excellent job for a long time.

The Delta is lacking the light and blower, but includes a really nice blade tension release lever.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I think you just sold yourself on the correct machine. Disclaimer, I do not own any powermatic and have a couple of Jet products.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Sorry for double post but I doubt you are going to run out and buy a different bandsaw if you don't like your pick. This is a likely lifetime purchase. Go with the Powermatic. I have a Jet JWBS-20 that I bought on the idea that I am unlikely to ever buy another bandsaw so I got one that I figured I would be happy with. Yes, it has flaws but I am happy enough with it.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Nice try, Barry, but I was comparing Delta's apples to PM's apples. The issue is MORE than just the light and blower. The Delta was the 1.5 HP model (who's number I'd have to research) that was available just a scant couple of months before the X5 models were introduced. I've seen the X5's in action too; I'm no more impressed by them their their earlier brethren. You forgot to mention the Carter guides on the PM. Or the superior drive belt on the PM. Or the vibration free operation of the PM. Or the better dust collection. Or the lower wheel brush...

Rest assured I'm not at all bothered by YOUR opinion that the Delta is a better choice. I'm just glad that I realized the mistake I made when I got the Delta home. I learn from my mistakes, and move on.

David

Ba r r y wrote:

Reply to
David

Actually I didn't. While I do use Cool Blocks ( Or the superior drive belt on the PM.

True. I put a link belt on mine, as I do with most tools.

I didn't have issues with either of these things with either machine.

I did have an issue with Delta's failure to include all the parts in box, but that's been discussed here before.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

B.A.D., is that you?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

huh?

David

Ba r r y wrote:

Reply to
David

Gee, the Delta I owned briefly had a wimpy, easily breakable collection port on the FRONT of the BS. PLASTIC! The PM has an integrally formed cast iron flange on the right side of the machine and it removes much more sawdust than my Delta did on its best day. :) I like the perforated plate (around the blade--can't recall the correct term) on the PM that increases dust collection, but I grant that one COULD fabricate a perforated plate for the Delta if they want to bother.

David

Ba r r y wrote:

Reply to
David

LOL ... Anyone who believes in coincidences lining up like that, I've got bridge over the Atchafalaya swamp for a cheap price. ;>)

Reply to
Swingman

for a couple hunnert more than the jet you can get the 18" delta complete with fence. you get a full 12" resaw capacity 2 HP and a quiet smooth running machine that should last a lifetime. no need to upgrade at a later time. buy once cry once.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics