Bandsaw Choice: Jet or Powermatic

Page 1 of 2
I am about to buy my first bandsaw. I think that a 14" saw with a riser will be big enough. I have narrowed the choice to 2 quite different machines. The Jet 710115K, at $599 seems to be a good balance of price and quality. The Powermatic is also a great machine, but is more expensive at $899.
However, the Powermatic comes with a good fence, miter, lamp, Carter Quick-Tension release, dual bearing blade guides, etc. Just the fence, miter, and lamp would add about $135 to the price, making the price difference between the two saws "only" $165. But that seems like a reasonable price to pay for the added features like the better blade guide, somewhat more powerful motor, etc.
I have a Jet drill press and a Powermatic jointer and like them both. Any thoughts on whether the choice and whether the Powermatic is worth the added cost. Thanks?
I have the Powermatic and LOVE it. I had a Delta, which in MY opinion was an unmitigated piece of crap. You get the light, the blower, a large table, and great performance. The Jet is too much like the Delta for my tastes. I was using my BS yesterday and smiling the whole time, knowing I was astute enough to send the Delta unit back for a full refund. Those who haven't used one don't know what I'm talking about. As Sledgehammer used to say, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!".
David
tzipple wrote:

The Delta 28-475X an unmitigated piece of crap? I don't think so. Which Delta did you have? What blade(s)? We need to compare apples to apples here.
Is your Powermatic the same horsepower as the delta you had?

[snip]
I had more problems with the saw than I have patience to write about. YES, it was a POS. In a nutshell, defective base, unresolved vibration, lousy guide system, no light, no blower, flimsy and useless dustport, no quick release, AND it cost me MORE than the Powermatic! It was a no-brainer to return it. The Powermatic was a few months away from production when I got the Delta, so I was w/o a BS for a little while longer. But, boy, was it worth the wait! :)
Blades? Doesn't matter, I've used a variety of blades, and some of the same blades on both saws. The Powermatic is hands-down a more enjoyable, quiet, accurate saw. Tracking is superb for either narrow or wider blades. I use Olsen AllPro's and Olsen regular blades. I know there are better blades out there, but they work FINE for me.
1.5 HP, each.
I can see you are a skeptic. That's because you haven't used both saws.
David
Never Enough Money wrote:

Yes, I am a skeptic. Not because I disbelieve you. I beleive you had the experience you say you had. Rather, it's because at least four of my woodworking buddies love their Delta 1.5 HP machines. They sing it's praises. Have they compared with the Powermatic? I don't know.

[snip]
Ok. I'm still a sketic but I'm becoming less os. Over the past few days I read two reviews (e.g. the FWW Tools 2004 issue) and it seems that the decision between the Delta 28-475X X5 14" Closed Stand Bandsaw
and the
Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS Deluxe Bandsaw
is a religious decision. Both are approximaetely the same price (if the Delta rebate and "free" tool is included because that gives you enough money to buy the Delta fence).
The blade guides are different. Cool blocks for the Delta & stacked ball bearings for the Powermatic.
Powermatic has a bigger table by 4 inches in one dimension and smaller by 1 inch in the other. I read that tilting the table left is easier on the Delta.
The fit and finish on the two look about the same to me althoug I like yellow better than grey.
Chaning blades on the Delta is easier (I read).
Both can be 120 or 220 volts.
The Powermatic includes a fence but with the $100 rebate you can get one for the Delta, too. I wonder how these fences compare with third party fences like the one from Woodhaven?
PM does not have a "quick full tension release".
American Woodworker (October 2004) says the frame to base stiffness of the Powermatic is "above average" for the PM and "Average" for the Delta.
The resaw capacity on the PM is one eight of an inch smaller than the dDelta: 11 7/8'th versus 12.
According to American Woodworker (Oct 2004) all other specs are the same (e.g. horsepower).
Some people are concerned where the saws are made. Powermatic is made in Taiwan (I think). I don't know where the Delta is made -- in the past it was the US but they might have moved manufacturing overseas - I don't know.
I'm likely to buy one of these two at the Woodworkers show in Denver in a couple of weeks. It might boil down to the best promotion. Last year I don't recall seeing Powermatics in the show -- hope they're represented this year!
Additional comments welcomed. I know some postings on this thread dislike Delta. For the two models I'm comparing, I think either is fine.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in message

Before you make a decision try and look at the General 15 inch. It appears to be a copy of the Powermatic (American made version) 14 inch. We have run two of these for many years and they are fantastic. Plus you get the extra inch. max

Hmmm...Mine releases the tension for the blades that I typically use. It IS true if you use a max width blade ALL the pressure won't be released. That's a bit nitpicky in MHO, as I don't often use wide blades and even when I do, it's a small price to pay for having all the other goodies, qualities, and smoothness of the Powermatic. Fit and finish?? I say the PM wins hands down on that score. Besides, it's gray! :) My Unisaw is all the gray I need in the shop. Oh, yeah, then there's the my Delta sander, and drill press. See what I mean, I've got plenty of gray equipment already.
I got to actually run the Powermatic moments before I whipped out my credit card to order one at a nearby WW show. I was surprised when I saw the PM at the show, as I didn't know they had released it, and I didn't know it was gonna have all the cool features like a light, blower, Carter guides, wheel brush, etc. So I told the salesman if he'd plug it in and let me hear it run I'd buy it on the spot. He did, and I did. It's a dream machine compared to the Delta.
David
Never Enough Money wrote:

David wrote: Besides, it's (the Delta)

Which Delta? Some are, some aren't.
The X5 has different (heavier & more spokes) wheels, more horsepower, and several other improvements, than the cheaper Delta models. In a head to head comparison, which included cutting some wood, I chose the X5 over the Powermatic. It was a close race, and I think either saw will do an excellent job for a long time.
The Delta is lacking the light and blower, but includes a really nice blade tension release lever.
Barry
Nice try, Barry, but I was comparing Delta's apples to PM's apples. The issue is MORE than just the light and blower. The Delta was the 1.5 HP model (who's number I'd have to research) that was available just a scant couple of months before the X5 models were introduced. I've seen the X5's in action too; I'm no more impressed by them their their earlier brethren. You forgot to mention the Carter guides on the PM. Or the superior drive belt on the PM. Or the vibration free operation of the PM. Or the better dust collection. Or the lower wheel brush...
Rest assured I'm not at all bothered by YOUR opinion that the Delta is a better choice. I'm just glad that I realized the mistake I made when I got the Delta home. I learn from my mistakes, and move on.
David
Ba r r y wrote:

Try?
Actually I didn't. While I do use Cool Blocks ( <$10) with skinny blades, I don't see a huge reason to upgrade the Delta's guides.

True. I put a link belt on mine, as I do with most tools.

I didn't have issues with either of these things with either machine.
I did have an issue with Delta's failure to include all the parts in box, but that's been discussed here before.
Barry
Gee, the Delta I owned briefly had a wimpy, easily breakable collection port on the FRONT of the BS. PLASTIC! The PM has an integrally formed cast iron flange on the right side of the machine and it removes much more sawdust than my Delta did on its best day. :) I like the perforated plate (around the blade--can't recall the correct term) on the PM that increases dust collection, but I grant that one COULD fabricate a perforated plate for the Delta if they want to bother.
David
Ba r r y wrote:

B.A.D., is that you? <G>
Barry
huh?
David
Ba r r y wrote:

Your post appears to originate from a San Francisco Bay area Comcast IP address range.
BA often used the phrase "Nice Try" when his opinion was challenged.
He has also used "unmitigated piece of crap" in reference to woodworking equipment.
Dave returned a Delta 299A (not an X-5, which lacks same), which had the front dust port, because it vibrated, in exchange for a Powermatic band saw.
His PM BS also exhibited a "total lack of vibration"
I'm sure it's a coinkiedink, so I apologize in advance for bringing it up. It's amazing how many people in the vast reaches of usenet that have similar mannerisms. <G>
Barry
Barry, I've seen posts from other guys that I swear mimic my posting style. I'm sure they figure I write like they do.
I seriously doubt there is a patent on the phrase "unmitigated piece of crap". :)
David
Ba r r y wrote:

I think Barry is jumping to conclusions. Unfairly I might add. There must be at least 15 or 20 guys named David (or Dave, Davey, Daisy) in the San Francisco - Oakland area that returned Delta bandsaws and bought Powermatics because they were unmitigated pieces of crap.
I'm only familiar with the east coast. The day I bought my Jet bandsaw, thee were four other guys named Edwin, all from the Hartford/Springfield region that bought Jet bandsaws just that one single day. Could have been more that bought Powermatics, but I don't track them. Barry does. Edwin

and who also does the bulk of his finishing with an accuspray gun applying enduro products...
yeah, right.
"Ba r r y" wrote in message

LOL ... Anyone who believes in coincidences lining up like that, I've got bridge over the Atchafalaya swamp for a cheap price. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04