Bandsaw Blades for milling green timber

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet Cherry wood much.

14" Delta w/ riser kit - urethane tires, Itura high tension spring. 10" green logs cut in half before milling on BS.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

FYI, I am looking at the Suffolk Timberwolf

1/2" x 3 TPI, .032 thick, 6.5d Hook, Alternate Set blade.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

The "Woodslicer" has a minimal set on the teeth which is why it gives a smooth cut. For green lumber a blade with a more pronounced set would help avoid binding. I'd suggest giving Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf blades) a call, explain what you want to cut and see what they recommend.

Nova

Yea, I noticed that about the Woodslicer - but it was the widest blade I had on hand. I made it into about 3 " of the log before I backed out and came here to find another. The only other blades I have are

1/8" and 1/4" detail blades - and I wasn't about to try those. Another thing about the WS is that it is only .022" thick. Pretty thin for any green timber work.

The first place I went was Suffolk. Looked at the 1/2 x 3AS .032 6.5 Alternate Set H & S 6-12 (Green)

I just wish someone around here stocked these blades. I live in a huge Metro area, but I have to mail order everything!

Unless it's some junk at Wal-Mart, Target, or the BORGs. All these stores carry the same freakin crap in different colored boxes...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

On a 14" Delta I don't think I'd try a blade wider than 1/2". The friction on the blade with green wood will be a consideration with the 14" Delta's limited HP.

I'd give Suffolk a call. Their staff is very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to matching a blade to a given task.

Is there a Rockler store in your area? Rockler used to carry the Timberwolf blades but stopped selling them due to poor sales. They now carry the Olson "All Pro" blades. Their sales person admitted the Olson blades are not as good as the "Timberwolf" blades but at about half the price they sold better. They're not bad blades but I prefer the Suffolk blades.

I know what you mean. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A LEE VALLEY TOOL OUTLET IN BUFFALO, NY! ( Hoping Rob Lee will consider a new store).

Nova

Yer tryin' to get me in trouble, Jack! I wear out the roads & Thruway between Jamestown & Buffalo enough already!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:32:28 -0400, Nova whined:

Quitcherwhinin! You're less than hour away from Burlington, ON. If Robin want to serve new areas, how about Whitehorse.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

"I live in a huge Metro area, but I have to mail order everything!"

Greg,

Check in your area for a sharpening service. Chances are they sell and make up bandsaw blades with various selections of widths and tooth configurations. These are usually a fraction of the price of someone's premade stock blades. Chances are you can call ahead and pick up in less than a couple of hours.

Example: A Timberwolf 3/8"x105 6tpi blade cost around $35 mail ordered. Pro- lasts longer, claims to handle better Con- only 1 tooth configuration for that width, cost 2-3 times as much and if it breaks you need to have purchased a back up or wait.

A blade made up from sharpening service same size $13-$15 ($25 for a quality bimetal). Pro- numerous tooth configurations available in each width. Costs about 33% of what a Timberwolf costs. Usually they will have a couple of grades to choose from. Limited amount of waiting. Expert advice for various applications. You've located someone who can help you with several needs. Con- might not last as long but you can buy 2-3 blades for the price of 1 timberwolf.

Reply to
mel

Yeah, and hour's drive time each way and now days about three hours total to clear customs at the border (and the US Customs even has my name on file for authorization due to my job's requirements).

Nova

The "Timberwofl" blades come in an assortment of different tooth configurations for each width. See:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Reply to
Eric Anderson

Thanks for the confirmation - that's the blade I had decided on. They are still running the 4/3 special on their website, incidentally. I prefer to buy locally, and possibly Wm. J. Redmond & Sons may carry something, but I haven't checked with them yet. Rockler and Highland Harware doesn't carry anything appropriate for "Green" wood. I haven't checked with Woodcraft yet, but they are quite a drive...

I missed the Atlanta IWF show, I wasn't able to convince SWMBO to go/let me go... ;-) (She's no fool.)

Greg

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:21:39 -0400, Nova scribbled:

Sheesh, only five hours. A nice little Saturday drive, plus you could extend it by going through Niagara Falls & sampling all the vino along the way (bring a DD).

I've got a 1,200 mile (2,000km) drive each way to get to the nearest store in Edmonton. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO WHINE!!! ;-)

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Reply to
Jim Behning

Haven't thought of them in ages. I'm not even sure they are still in business.

Hmmm - that's three WWs near Atlanta...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

I stand corrected. I am fortunate enough to have both a Rockler and woodcraft stores nearby and they only carry a limited variety apparently. My mistake.

Reply to
mel