Bandsaw blade tracking

the blade isn't a wheel. it's a band. no gyroscopic effect. not enough mass to make enough difference to matter anyhow...
"Bridger" wrote in message

ok, I see what you mean, though I don't agree with you. I think the combination of forces acting on the blade are more than enough to have an effect, especially as the blade gets larger.
--
Greg

I had this same problem on my 10" Delta. I started looking for better cool blocks and asked the sales reps. at TWC when they showed up in town for the wood show in 2002. I was sold a stabilizer and I put it on as the instructions said. I wondered why the stabilizer didn't move the blade off of the wheels because you are required to get the blade on so it spins fine. Then the grove in the stabilizer is aligned with the back of the blade and the blade is then pushed forward about 1/8".
I never adjusted the tension. In fact I have changed to different size of blades only to 'snap' then onto the existing wheel tension and make sure the stabilizer is adjusted it's 1/8'. I have also noticed that adjustment of the tension knob doesn't really do anything.
I don't want to sound like spam, but I do know you can get the Cater Stabilizer at TWC for about $65, 1-800-892-4866.
If you don't have a Carter Stabilizer for your BS, then it is worth it to say that you must suffer the punishment of playing with the tension on the upper wheek until you get it right. Remember, wood has different thickness and hardness and a blade will wander in softer areas.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Yes they are! Thanks, Darrell