Bandsaw Blade tick

Hi Again All, I just got some new bands from Suffolk and am noticing something odd about them, or more likely my bandsaw. I am running a 17" General, which I have been happy with in the past, and have never noticed this problem.
So I mounted a 3/4" 6TPI band today, and started to follow there tensioning guidelines, when I noticed a flutter in the path of the band parallel to the width of the blade. Meaning if I were to hold a piece of stock in front of the band it would engage and pull out of the cut. It was pretty dramatic, maybe 3/16" or so. I played with all the roller guides, tension, etc and it remained. I then mounted a 3/4" 2TPI blade and didn't notice the problem at all. So I remounted the 6TPI, and while the tick is still there it's much less now, say around 1/32". Is this a case of some small fluke that I should worry about, or does anyone have any knowledge they can share as to what might be going on?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Andrew
Andrew wrote: snip-So I mounted a 3/4" 6TPI band today, and started to follow there tensioning guidelines, when I noticed a flutter in the path of the band
parallel to the width of the blade. Meaning if I were to hold a piece of stock in front of the band it would engage and pull out of the cut. It was pretty dramatic, maybe 3/16" or so. I played with all the roller
guides, tension, etc and it remained. I then mounted a 3/4" 2TPI blade and didn't notice the problem at all. So I remounted the 6TPI, and while the tick is still there it's much less now, say around 1/32". Is this a case of some small fluke that I should worry about, or does anyone have any knowledge they can share as to what might be going on?
Maybe check along both sides of the brazing on the back with a straightedge (or lay it on a flat surface) for a good and proper join? Tom
I didn't check it with a straightedge, but it seems smooth and straight to me. I will check and report back
I got a 1" carbide toothed blade with my 20" Minimax that did that, and the rep. said it was a bad weld... a replacement blade was free of the defect. Call them and describe the problem, I believe they'll replace it for you. Tom

<snip>
In my limited experience, that would most likely be caused by either an off cut/weld blade of wheels out of line... and since the problem started when you changed blades, the odds are it's the blade..
Basic troubleshooting: check the last thing that you changed/worked on... works on cars, electrical, etc....

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
As others noted - bad blade weld. What others haven't haven't mentioned is what can happen if that weld lets loose. IF you have a decent blade guard
a) you'll be amazed at how many lineal inches of bandsaw blade can be accordianed into just 16 to 18 inches of vertical space b) you'll spend a bit of time un-accordianing the blade stuck in the blade guard c) any ticking sound will cause a flashback for the next several months d) just throw your shorts away - you'll never get 'em clean
DAMHIKT
While I "know" that my bandsaw is probably the safest power tool in my shop - I still approach it with a bit of fear and a lot of respect, especially when there's 12+ inches of exposed blade.
charlie b
Hell...I just wet myself laughing at this post...I don't even own a bandsaw (yet) and I need to change my shorts!