Bandsaw blade storage w/o coiling

Page 2 of 3

How about a separate building specifically designed for the propose
Ok, ok, ok, lighten up. I'll coil the stupid things. I just got my bandsaw and coiling seems difficult, and it seems like I'd constantly be damaging the teeth.
Never Enough Money wrote:

No, I understand that. It's really pretty easy to do.
I'll try to recall the exact directions for coiling the blades that I read years ago in a magazine article or maybe a book.
First - Stop at Walgreen's or some tobacco store and buy one package (a lifetime supply) of pipe cleaners. Handy in the shop anyway but they are great to keep the blades coiled in storage - easy on, easy off and reuseable.
Second - Hold the blade out in front of you, uncoiled, with the teeth pointing away from you. You should be grasping it around the middle of the loop.
Third - Twist both hands in opposite directions at the same time. This will cause the blade to coil itself. The coils should be even but if not, just loosen your grip and they will be. Tie off with two pipe cleaners and lay them in a drawer or hang them on a hook.
If my directions are a bit off, just keep trying variations on it in the way you twist the blade, hold it. It works like a charm. One of those things that once you do it, it becomes second nature and you won't even give it a thought.
Thanks, I'll try that this evening. Now I suppose my question has morphed into how to store coiled bandsaw blades. Perhaps, a box with divideders in it. Dividers could be quarter inch hardboard......

That will work. You can make a series of slide outs, you can use vertical dividers like on a desk, you can put them back in the box they came it (at least for a while 'til they get ragged) I hang mine on a screw in the wall. I do coil them, but if it is going right back on, I sometimes don't.
Once you've coiled them a few times it is very easily done. Intimidating the fist two or three times. To release them, I just toss it on the floor away from me.
snip

I must add that I disagree with those who give the bands a toss to unwrap. That is a good way to, in descending order of import, 1) get hurt 2) hurt others 3) hurt shopdog 4) damage machinery 5) damage the band teeth. Better to wear heavy gloves and carefully unwrap the band.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:06:58 -0700, "Pounds on Wood"

You don't have a Wood-mizer, do you ?
Fine for little blades but when they're big around as you are tall, you want to get away from them.

Never Enough Money wrote:

Hang them on pegs :)
--
dadiOH
____________________________
on 5/17/2005 8:09 AM Never Enough Money said the following:

You can do all sorts of fancy things with them but why? The tips given here are, for the most part, from guys who've been doing this for years and you see suggestions like "toss it on the floor to open," "step on the blade with one foot and twist with your hand."
You coil the blade, secure it with the pipe cleaners or anything else you choose or have handy, and lay it in a drawer. Compared to either uncoiling it or re-coiling it according to the magazine article, just laying in the drawer or cabinet carefully is not apt to cause a problem with it.

WEAR GLOVES... learning can be painful, sometimes..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:03:43 -0700, mac davis

I can live without the gloves, it's my _nose_ that I worry about !
(OK, so I could lose a bit off the end and not notice. But I'd notice)

well, you can work in the shop with a bandaged nose, Andy.. harder to work with your hands all wrapped in gauze.. *g*
I noticed when washing up last night that I had a slight abrasion on my arm... matches a 3 TPI blade, so I must of just lightly brushed the (NOT MOVING) blade when I swept off the table...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:23:50 -0700, mac davis

8-( I've already got an ear hanging off at present. I look like Van Gogh in his alcoholic tramp period.

You weren't trying to listen in to the secret language of Piranhas were you?

Still better than the hands, Andy... with both hands bandaged, you really find out who your friends are, especially when you have to pee.. DAMKIKT
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I have a 1X2 upside-down J hung on a 2X4 in the unfinished garage ceiling with 1/4" dowels out of both sides for coiled blades. Hung above the bandsaw nacherly.
On 17 May 2005 06:09:05 -0700, "Never Enough Money"

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Another way (and because I take Coumadin--blood thinner--I prefer to wear gloves when working with blades of any kind): teeth facing out, grip the top with the palm facing up. Place a foot on the lower part of the coil and gently press against the floor. Twist the hand holding the blade and push down gently. I use my left hand and twist to my right. Tie off. I use shorts off #14 wire to tie it off, but pipe cleaners also work well.
Toss on the floor to open, but use caution. I once tossed one and it hung on my thumbnail as it left my hand. That's the primary reason I now wear gloves.
http://woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/449.xml
Never Enough Money wrote:

ta/449.xml
Interesting. That's not the way I do it though. I was taught a two handed grip and twist. I guess the result is the same. Someone should do a short video clip. It would be worth at least 1000 words.