Bandsaw blade speed

I bought an old Delta type 14" bandsaw. I cannot use the motor and need to get a new one and pulley. To calculate the pulley size I need to know the blade speed which is confusing. Delta recommends 2200 fpm Duginskie 1800 to 2700 fpm Suffolk 3300 fpm.

Should I just take an average and use that or is there more definite data. Thanks

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Given that it is a Delta bandsaw, I'd go with what they recommend. As you can see by Duginske, anything from 1800 to 2700 will work. My 14"single speed bandsaw runs at around 2100 and it cuts just fine :)

Reply to
xcz

Delta current machine specs go up to 3300 depending on the model. However if you have the stock pulleys and it is an older design 14" you should match the stock pulley and get a 1725 output RPM motor. It is important that you do not exceed the design RPM of the wheels to avoid problems with the tires lifting. The older tire design (Tires of natural and synthetic blend of rubber) were designed with a durometer that enhanced tracking to the crown, but if you exceed the design wheel RPM they would lift. The newer tires have less of a tendency to do that but will still lift if the design RPM is greatly exceeded. I can't remember what the maximum wheel rpm is but if you stick with stock size pulleys and a 1725 ouput motor you will be OK.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

The saw seems to be a 28-200 or thereabouts. The motor that I got with the saw does not fit the base, only held on by 2 bolts and makes the saw unstable. Stock pulleys and motor are not an option, hence the question as to band speed for a new motor installation. If 2200 fpm is OK (3300 fpm as per Suffolk seems a bit high) I can size the pulleys to the motor I can get which will most probably be a 4 pole 1450 rpm TEFC. Cheers

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Thanks seems logical.

Reply to