Bandsaw blade question(s)

Hello Group, (Off topic part; I have not had a successful connection to recDotWW from home for two days until this morning. If any of you still want the plans for the wooden tambours please email me directly. They are large files but I send them out one page at a time) Back to the subject topic; I went to my local shop to buy a new blade for resawing 6 inch half log pine siding, 6 foot lengths on my 14 inch bandsaw (with a 3/4HP motor). I asked for a 3/4 inch blade but the sales dude - who happens to be a good friend, so I'm sure he would not recommend a bad product (and he never has yet) - suggested I buy a 1/4 inch Morse bi metal blade and tighten it to 3/4 inch tension. He offered a money back guaranteeif it does not perform the way I like it. Does anyone have any comments or history of using narrower bi metal blades at higher tension settings? It seems counter intuitive but the guy has always demonstrated good sense and he is not prone to gimmick products. Thanks in advance and Ihope I can come back to the recDOT successfully from home this weekend.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

I bet most blade and saw manufacturers will tell you that blade life will be affected significantly. I would thing it would be a bit tough on your tires also. My car runs real fast when I run it at red line but is that a good thing for the engine?

Reply to
Leon

4 tpi, bimetal blade. I have a lot of hours on mine. I do run the tension higher than the scale on my saw, and after running for an hour or so, tighten up the blade again to make up for stretching. robo hippy
Reply to
robo hippy