Bandsaw blade offset problem.

Hi I hope someone can help. I have just received my bi-monthly ration of new blades from regular outlet (cash deal) but the cut has a serrated edge. This is for both the 1/4" and the 1/2". Previously I have noticed the the same effect on a 1/2" blade but not the 1/4" which usually gave me real smooth cut that didn't need sanding. I rang and told the outlet the problem and asked if they had a smaller "offset" angle blade which I thought would fix the problem. They said they didn't and that was the normal offset on all their blades but they did offer to refund for the unused blades. I have only used one 1/4".
Anyway I was wondering if I could lessen the offset by grinding the side of the teeth of the blade with a stone to make the cut smoother? Or would it just make more problems. Any other ideas or what offset should I ask for when I'm sourcing new blades at a new outlet?
I cut mostly pine or gum tree on the bandsaw.
Thanks Ed.

Ed, I believe your problem is caused by one or just a few teeth that are out of line instead of the set of the blade. Since that tooth or teeth only come around once per revolution, they cut a wider kerf at regular intervals. This produces the serrated edge you're talking about. If the blade had too much set, the kerf would be wide, and the blade may tend to wander, but the cut would still be fairly smooth. Looks like a quality control problem instead of a specification problem. I'll bet if you try another blade with the same set, your problem will go away.
DonkeyHody "There's a difference between doing things right, and doing the right things."

I'd be looking for one or a few teeth that stick out beyond the others. Eithering bending them back in line or jointing them with a stone will likely take care of the problem. I suspect the teeth may have been damaged in handling at some point rather than there being an inherint defect in the blades--it seems unreasonble that the machine that sets the teeth would bend them to different sets.
John
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:38:25 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Good point, John... might have been in the saw shop when it was twisted or folded or the OP could have bent a few teeth "unfolding" it...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Thanks guys, the stone fixed the problem but I have kept one of the original cuts to show dealer but I suspect the Genuine German bandsaw roll was made in China like just about eveything else here in Australia. Cheers Ed.