bandsaw blade for resawing

I think the claim was not that saws could not achieve the high tension but rather that it caused wear on bearings or other parts of the machine.

Reply to
Adrian Mariano

A much wider kerf? What is the kerf of a standard blade? This seems like information that is generally not supplied. The Woodslicer claims 1/32" = 0.031 inches. The Lenox carbide is 0.056 inches according to the review web page I cited. (The actual band is 0.025" thick, the same as everybody else.) I could not determine the kerf on the Timberwolf blades from their web page (except for the AS-S at .048"). Nor could I determine the kerf of the lenox bi-metal blades.

Now the review I referred to made it sound like the carbide blade opened up a whole new world for the reviewer even though he had a small 14" saw like mine. In other words, he felt like he could do stuff he couldn't do with the regular blades he'd tried before---not that the carbide blade merely lasted longer. On thing that seemed noteworthy was the claim that because the blade stays sharp it cuts straight for a long time whereas other blades quickly start to cut less straight as they dull. If true, this may be very useful for veneer cutting, say, especially in abrasive woods. There's also this in between blade, the carbide "impregnated" blade made by Supercut that Lee Valley sells (for about $50). Somebody who posted to this group liked this blade, but it doesn't seem to have been much talked about.

Reply to
Adrian Mariano

Almost my experience exactly. I think we must have talked to the same guy.

Reply to
Steve Turner

The phone number is 888 722 7078. They have a catalog (which hasn't come yet). Supposedly they sell everything associated with band saaws. It must be a small operation. The first couple times I called the line was busy. But I did eventually get through and talk to somebody. There does not appear to be a web site.

I asked him about blades. He said they sell lenox blades in carbon steel, bimetal, and carbide. He said the only difference between these blades was the longevity. They also sell a "woodslicer type" blade which is allegedly obtained from the same source as the Highland Hardware blade but it costs $20 instead of $30 for the 105" length. This blade is carbon steel, but according to the Iturra guy it gives a smoother finish than the other blades.

The Iturra guy also told me that the Grizzley G0555 saw apparently exists in different incarnations with a different spring length, so you need to measure your spring before you call.

Reply to
Adrian Mariano

Do they have a website?

Reply to
WD

Reply to
nospambob

That's when you follow up with "Tell you what, let's work an exchange. I'll build you a site and teach you how to use it, in exchange for goods."

Oh wait, that's how _I_ follow up, sometimes.

Dave "...when I have too much spare time..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
nospambob