Bandsaw blade choice?

Got a 14inch Rigid BS and have a few blades already in 1/4 & 1/2 inch width. Now I'm thinking that maybe a 5/8" would be great when cutting would produce results with less drift, and straighter cuts. If this is the case which blades do you recommend in brand, number of teeth, and type of teeth? Also, what about going to 3/4"?
regards
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:53:16 -0500, "Woodchuck"
No, probably worse.
Try reading Duginske - lots of good stuff on blade choice in there. It also helps to find a clueful blade supplier - most aren't, and don't even know what tooth pattern they're selling you.
For a typical 14" machine, 5/8" is tops, 3/4" is clearly too much and 1/2" is about as wide as it's sensible to go. There's a minimal theoretical benefit to the wider blade, but only if your machine can tension it - which it probably can't.
--
Smert' spamionam

Strongly recommended. He could try the local library on Duginske's books and videos. Last week I borrowed a dozen videos and books on various woodworking topics. I prefer video and see exactly how it was done and replay as many times as necessary.

Many bandsaw specs say then can take a 3/4" blade. Truth is, it will fit the wheels, but it will not cut any better, maybe even worse.
Instead of a wider blade, look for Duginski's bandsaw book and read it. You will learn how to set it up properly, how to adjust it so the blade tracks better, and you will find that a 1/4" blade will do most of the general cutting you'll ever do. Save the 1/2" for resawing and use the 1/8" for more intricate work. Better yet, buy two more saws and save that pesky blade changing.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Call Suffolk Machinery,
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com /
and ask them your questions. They are the supplier of Timberwolf blades and know much more about your saw then any of us. And they are very helpful.
No affiliation, just a very satisfied repeat customer.
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

This Canadian company has quality blades and great service. Good prices too!
Customer Keith P.
http://www.tufftooth.com /
FWIW, I am using an Olson 5/8, 3 TPI. .025, hook tooth blade in my 60 year old 14" delta BS. Blade runs true with no wobble, and I cut 1/8 inch veneer from hardwoods with great results. However, I make no claims that a narrower, sharp, coarse blade will not also do a great job. Jim

width.
produce
Also,