Bandsaw

Anybody need a LARGE bandsaw?

affiliated with in any way.

mark

Reply to
Mark S

There's a place here in Cincinnati called C. W. Wood Machinery that sells new and used machinery. Despite the name, it's mostly metalworking tools. (Named after its founder) I go there occasionally just to sightsee. There's a huge lathe there: the diameter of the chuck is the length of my arm, roughly 2.5 feet, maybe a little less. The bed is around 30 feet. I'm not sure what it was used to make. Airplane parts, maybe.

Some big bandsaws there, too. I laughed at the sign on one of them. I don't remember how many wheels it had or how big they were, but it was about 8 feet tall and at least 6 feet wide, and probably weighed as much as a small car. Maybe more, as it was mostly solid steel. The sign over the table said "Watch your fingers". Ya think?

(In case you're interested, here's the URL:

)

Reply to
darkon

Probably a gun lathe.

At one time Cincinnati Millicron was the largest machine tool builder in the country, and there were several other machine tool builders in the area.

Don't have a clue if they are still in business.

If they are, and you can get invited for a tour, it is an absolutely amazing place.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snip

Have you ever seen the bandsaw at Mystic Seaport? The blade and frame rotates to make angled cuts. It is huge.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

That is a really strange saw as it's capacity appears to me no more than the common 14" band saw. Notice that the blade goes around the upper and lower wheels and not around the throat.

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps if one or two more wheels were used/added, you can have a 8 foot wide throat?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Note that there is an unused idler wheel on the upright. And a stack of wheels sitting just at the riser. I see the cover plate ... but I don't see any mounting studs for it. It's got a mighty small table for suck a big throat. Something here looks odd to me.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Ahem ... "such a big throat"

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Ummmm. I think you mean "Deep Throat". ? sorry, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

The WoodSmithShop is running a program on the bandsaw this week.

Tune up, jigs, etc.

Check for a station in your area.

Lew

Reply to