Bandsaw - 19" Grizzly or 18" Rikon

I know this has to have been bounced around a jillion times alreaby so please bear with me.

I'm looking at a new bandsaw and am torn between the Grizzly G0514X (19") and the Rikon 10-345 (18"). Prices are comparable but there are definitely some differences in specs.

Can anyone please enlighten me as to which is the better choice? I guess it's fair to say I'm a serious woodworker but don't make a living at it and I don't plan to buy another bandsaw. Also, I'm not going to pop for the Laguna - too pricey for me.

Thanks, Glen

Reply to
Tex

I went through this same process back in October, between the Rikon 18 and the Grizzly 17 inch models. I went with the Rikon after reading a few reviews. Main selling points for me were the cast iron wheels and the ball bearing guides. Also, as I recall, reviewers said the Rikon guides were easier to set up after a blade change. Clincher was when Woodcraft had it on sale for $900 that month.

The saw runs great and I am very pleased with my purchase.

-jj.

Reply to
jjinatx

I'll second that. I just bought one last month. Very happy with it.

Very happy with there customer service also. My motor gave me trouble a week after owning it and they sent me a new motor and told me to keep the old motor for parts. So far, no problems with the new motor. I think I just got a damaged one originally.

Reply to
stoutman

Thanks to both of you. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I've been leaning to the Rikon but that Griz caught my attention and I thought I'd better bounce it off someone who's "been there".

Thanks again, Glen

Reply to
Tex

Ditto. I bought my 18" Rikon right after they first went on sale at Woodcraft... pretty much the minute they had the 10% off sale. That brought the price down to $899. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine and now that I have it, wonder how I did without for so long.

I will not be trading up; I think I bought enough saw right from the start.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I will add that the cast iron wheels (on the Rikon) make a huge difference. I've used a big Jet (Pretty sure it was the 18") with aluminum wheels and the Rikon cuts a lot better. My guess is that the Grizzley has aluminum wheels.

I've got some vibration on my Rikon, but it's not a huge deal. I've cut bowl blanks out of maple logs roughly 9" thick with no problem on the Rikon.. that's the main reason I bought it.

Reply to
bf