Band saw vs. Scroll saw

Page 2 of 2

John Emmons wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:50:04 -0500, Duane Bozarth

a good example of nomenclature drift. what we call today a scroll saw was called a jigsaw by my grandfather. what we call a jigsaw he called a saber saw.

certainly a bandsaw box- a sort of jigsaw puzzle.

I *still* call it a saber saw...
--
Regards,
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:52:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I have a table jigsaw. It differs from my definition of a scrollsaw because it is only powered on the down cut - the upcut being spring drawn. if you take the sideways U shaped arm off and put in a nice stiff saber saw blade it becomes a table based saber saw. I like my Bosch handheld jigsaw but I very seldom use my Craftsman scrollsaw. Damn, I have them all ;-)
Dave Hall
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:52:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

on the side of my saber saw some joker at bosch wrote "jig saw"
Your grandfather? I'm not that old and those were the names used when I was a kid.

when I was a kid both names were in use. grampa called it a saber saw, other people called it a jig saw...
Grampa's gone now- I can't ask him what it was called when he was a kid... probably nothing... not too many hand held power tools in the 1910's.