Band Saw tire cleaner

Does anyone know what one should use to clean junk off band saw tires?
I have a Delta 14" band saw with orange rubber tires and they are full of sort of sticky lumps that need to be cleaned
Thanks
Wayne
I use de-natured alcohol on mine to clean the gunk off. I've also used 409 and citrus based cleaners but the alcohol worked best. Not isopropyl.
Bob S.

Thanks Bob I'll try it
Bob S. wrote:

Bob, I think you meant to say "Denatured Alcohol" which is at any hardware store or paint store. It is used for shellac.
though pricy, if you wanted pure Alcohol you could go to Kentucky(grin) but also depending on where you are, liquor stores used to carry pints of pure "grain alcohol" which is the same as denatured without the denaturing agent which(traditionally) used to be methyl alcohol or methanol.

--
Regards,
Jim Polaski

Also, if your bandsaw DOESN'T have a brush to keep the sawdust from being caked onto the lower wheel tire, it is definitely worth looking into adding one. Many of the fancier machines come with a brush, but they are not really a hassle to retrofit to an existing machine
See Mark Duginske's BandSaw Book and he has information on this
John

as does the new Powermatic 14.
dave
John Crea wrote:
Many of the fancier machines come with a brush, but

Thanks for the tip. I noticed the MM16 had a brush in it and thought that would be an easy add on and a good one at that. I'll have to get Mark's book and check it out.
Mike

Yep, as far as I know, ALL the MiniMax bandsaws have the brush as standard equipment for the lower wheel/tire
Some folks replace the stock brush with something a bit stiffer for better cleaning, in those cases I would suggest trying the stock brush for a while, then decide if you want something a bit stiffer
Johnj

IIRC, Iturra Designs wants about $5/$6 for their brush. Seems like a reasonable price to me.
What's the website for the IIRC, Iturra Designs brush?
Thanks mttt wrote:

They don't have one
John

A permanently fitted brush (a heat-bent toothbrush, screwed to the frame). If you don't let it build up, it's easier to clean. When you've finished for the day, especially on resinous softwoods, unplug the DC hose and vacuum out the wheel boxes and around the guides.
If you have buildups to clean, almost any organic solvent will work, applied with the ubiquitous toothbrush or kitchen roll. Acetone if it's handy, isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) or whatever workshop solvent you like to keep on hand for cleaning router cutters and table saw blades.

Just stay away from solvents based on petroleum products. Varsol and similar will damage the plastic in the tires. Not so bad with polyurethane tires, but real bad for synthetic rubber.
Mike
I used to clean mine by holding a toothbrush against the tire as the saw ran. Then I installed a wheel-cleaning brush from Iturra Designs and I haven't had to clean them again since.
Iturra doesn't have a web site. Call them at 888-722-7078 and ask for a copy of their catalog, which is full of neat bandsaw accessories as well as articles, advice and commentary.