band saw tire

Page 1 of 2

I have a new Delta 14" band saw, model 28-206. Less than a week old. Tonight I started to cut something and no matter how slowly I fed the wood I would get rough spots in the cut that looked as if I were pushing it through as fast as I could go. I checked a number of things, and finally noticed that the tire on the lower wheel is actually coming away from the wheel when it rotates. It had rubbed against the blade guard on the left side and left a burr on part of the tire. I put some sandpaper on a board, removed the blade, turned on the motor and sanded away the roughness. Even so, with the blade off, the tire comes away from the wheel; a thin piece of wood held in one place makes intermittent contact with the tire.
Shouldn't the tire have been glued to the wheel to prevent something like this from happening? With the saw being new, I assumed the tire was glued to the wheel, but it's not. I can slide it from side to side between the lips on the wheel.
Any suggestions? Should I glue the tire in place myself? Buy new tires and glue them on? Complain to the dealer?
You should complain and see what happens. To the best of my limited knowledge the tires are held on without glue, simply really tight on the wheel. Either way the reason to buy a new piece of equipment is because you know that it should work, and that there are trained people who should help you get it running smoothly.
Andrew
darkon wrote:

Complain to the dealer. You need a replacement tire.
darkon wrote:

On the Delta's the tire is not glued. They just stretch fit. Yours sounds to be too big for the wheel. Demand a replacement.
-Mark
Darkon .. Sorry that you are having trouble with your new saw....just call your dealer and he will take care of it immediately .....you do not have to demand nor do you have to complain....all you have to do is to call your dealer and let him do his job.....please have the serial number ready, this will make his job easier and this is all Delta needs for warranty replacement...in all my years of selling Delta I never had even one situation that Delta would not cover it under warranty and they always took care of the customer. There is no need to be confrontational. Delta and their dealers want to help you! Good luck, Mike
snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

I agree entirely. Hi Mike, hope Dawn's doing well. Last time I had a problem, I called up and told the lady what it was. She asked for the ser.#, I didn't have it handy and she didn't even ask me to turn the saw around and read it to her, just figured out what I needed and sent it to me. GOOD service.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

I had no intention of being confrontational with the dealer. I'm just going to go in and ask for it be be fixed. I'm irritated that I have problems with a new saw (understandably, I think), and some of that probably came through in my post. I quite agree that talking calmly to the dealer is a better way to get results than immediately trying to argue with them.
At the moment I'm printing some pictures that show where the rubber from the tire is on the lower blade guard. That way I can show them what the problem is instead of trying to describe it.
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post.

That's why we buy from local dealers when we can, is it not?
Patriarch
Darkon:
I was aiming my remarks toward the suggestions others were giving you about demanding and complaining and just felt there was no need for that kind of attitude...in no way did I aim to suggest to you that you did not have the right to be upset. Having a problem with a new machine sucks. Delta has always given the dealers the power to take care of you and rightly so. I hope that they get you all taken care of. I speak with Delta often, if you have any problems or if I can be of any assistance, please contact me.
good luck, Mike
I was the first to use the word complain. I meant it in terms of voicing your complaint with the machine to the dealer. I stick by this, as the only differnce you point out if in vernacular. As far as attitiude, I think you have the right as a consumer to be upset when purchasing a new toy that doesn't perform properly. Now that said, I didn't suggest throwing the machine through the window or boycotting delta or anything of the sort. I suggested making them make the problem right.
Maybe I am being grumpy, but come on getting at least slightly pissed is understandable when dealing with broken stuff
Hrmp.
Andrew

if the dealer that you bought it from has a replace part, they should make it good to go right away... A really good dealer will take one off a floor model and order the part if he doesn't have it in stock..
IMO, a dealer sold you what he thought was a good tool in working order, and if it is defective, he'll fix or replace it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On 7 Aug 2005 05:59:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

Excellent point, Mike... I used to do customer service for computers, and the friendly folks that needed help got it ASAP... the demanding, whining, or loud folks got put on Hold Hell".. Very few companies think that every item off the line (or imported with their label) is perfect... they're usually very helpful and cooperative when a customer has a problem.. YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Call Delta customer service and have them send you new tires. They are defective, do not have the appropriate durometer to withstand the centrifigal force at the approprate RPM.
The tires are not glued to the wheel. They are designed to stay put up to operating rpm. However, it should not have any clearance between the side flanges to slide from lip to lip as you state.
Better yet take the 28-206 (chinese junk) back and replace it with one of Delta's American made 14" machines. Yes it will cost more. Yes it is worth it.

Well, hell, I thought I was buying American. Not that that was terribly important as long as the equipment works properly. I'll buy American when I can, but I'm not a fanatic about it. I don't mean to imply that you a fanatic, either. I agree, but I don't have the cash to spare for a really expensive bad saw. Want to send me some? :-)
I wrote:

Typo. BAND saw, not bad saw.
darkon wrote:

Freudian slip. You've already laid out the cash for a bad saw<g>

That occurred to me as well. :-)
216.168.3.30:

I don't have the money for an expensive bad saw either. ;-)
Life's too short for bad tools.
Patriarch

Correction noted.
I'm not a fanatic about buying American either. I am a fanatic about buying quality. And value (which doesn't mean lowest cost).
WHen American cars turned to junk as the big three were trying to drop weight to get to the fuel standards I bought Japanese and paid a premium. Best value.
I had the fortunate opportunity to work IWF for many years and the two most asked questions were. Which is the better fence system the Unifence or the Biesmeyer? and
Why should I pay $XX more for that unit over brand x chinese or same brand, chinese.
The answer to question two is simple. Look at the $ premium over the life of the machine. Do you want a machine you can sell for 60-80 percent of its original value after you used it for your lifetime or be able to leave it to your kids or grandkids and have them still be able to get parts. And the satisfaction that the machine brings you because you can do the best possible work, hobby or living.
I don't think I ever lost a sale when face to face with that explanation.
Keep in mind the way things are going, the opportunity to make that choice is shrinking.
BTW, I am no longer affiliated and the opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.
Frank

On second though, and despite what I said in my other reply, I'm curious. What model would you recommend and approximately what would it cost?
One reason I didn't go for a more expensive saw is because this is strictly a hobby, not a profession. I didn't buy a smaller saw because I wanted something that I could grow into instead of getting something I'd want to replace in a few years -- and the bench models frankly look like toys. Plastic tables, yecch. I wanted a saw like my dad's that he's been using in his shop for over 30 years, but he paid $600 for it used in 1973. I think it's over $2000 now. That seemed a bit much for a weekend hobby.