Band saw table

I want to make an extension for my band saw table. I thinking about using MDF and screwing it to my existing metal table. I think the table is cast iron. Any problems drilling cast so I can bolt the new extension directly to the table? How about cutting 1/4-20 threads or should I just use a through bolt and nut? Thanks for any replies.
Evon wrote:

Another option is to build a thin frame on the bottom of the MDF table that frames the existing table. The new table could clamp to the edges of the existing table, or attach using the fence mounting holes. No modifications to the saw would be required.
That said, drilling and tapping cast iron isn't all that difficult. In production shops, I've seen band and and table saws with tapped holes for jig mounting.
Barry
I solved this same problem recently. My solution is simple, not particulay fancy, and is intended to removed after each use (so as not to take up valuablefloor real estate).
1st, I was surprised at how easily the cast iron drilled.
I did not tap the cast iron, I bolted a 1.5" square stick to both the back and side of the saw (5/8" below the surface of the table, forming a ledge). My extension table is a 1' x 3' piece of 5/8" melamine. The extension mounts onto ledges via 2 pins (1/4" dowels) in the table extension which set into matching holes in the ledge.
The far end of the table simply rests on a saw horse.
I either attach the extension to the side for a "crosscut" or to the back for a long "rip".
If you need a photo let me know and I'll post something to ABPW.
-Steve

Okay, that sounds like a do able job. I'll play with this idea. Since Barry said I can drill and tape cast I may mount a T-rail on the one edge so that it would slide on and the use the dowels to lock in place. Thanks guys.

That will work. It is better to find a way to do it without damaging the table. For example, clamp to the edge/underside of the table perhaps with L brackets.