Band saw recommendations

I'm willing to part with up to $300 for a decent bandsaw for hobbyist use. It will need to saw slabs out of logs and cut bowl blanks for turning. Nothing fancy, but I think I need good height, good throat depth and decent horsepower. Probably little to no finished edges.
Does any one care to share their recommendations?
Bill
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Sure, Bill. There are some 14 inch Taiwanese clones that might be had for around that price, or a little less. But then again, Woodcraft is supposed to be carrying the Rikon 18 incher, soon. Tom Work at your leisure!
Tom wrote:

He's not going to get that Rikon for $300. If he can, I want one too.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer wrote:>He's not going to get that Rikon for $300. If he can, I want one too.

Hey, I'm in America. Anything could happen. But of course not. I'm just trying to pique his interest in spending more! Tom Work at your leisure!
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:03:50 -0400, Anonymous

for $300, something old.
Bridger:

I only had to give up $150 for my Powermatic and it's not "that" old.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 3
And it wasn't built by child/prison labor.
UA100

yabbut..... You Suck.

Two possibilities: Buy a good used machine, at least a 14" model that can take a riser block Save up another $300 to $400 if you want to buy new.
"Anonymous" wrote in message

With the "profit point" engineering on current band saw models, your best bet is to find an older machine. Your budget won't go far for a new machine, and should you spend twice that on new, you still won't have as good a tool.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

With a cost restriction, the size will be limited unless you can find a used band saw. Delta or Jet are usually the ones to find. A 14" is very common. Band saws can be a loyal pain to tuneup, especially if you get a cheap one.
You have good suggestions - Look for a good used machine. They don't grow on trees but they do show up in ads in the local paper on a fairly regular basis (Local = Wichita/Sedgwick County, about 500,000 population). I think you could get into a fairly new Delta 14" for a couple hundred dollars. This would still leave a little money to add riser block kit if you don't buy one with it installed.