Band Saw questions

Page 3 of 3

Leon wrote:

Jack Stein wrote:>> I'm glad you said that because my 55 year old Rockwell/Delta 14" bandsaw

Phisherman wrote:> But, a Horsepower 55 years ago is a lot more powerful than today's

Yes, that was Leon's point I think. Someone here said to look at the amperage of the motor, and 1 hp should use like 12 amps. This at least should be fairly consistent you would think.
Still, 4.5 hp seems like a hell of a lot to me for a BS. I never resawed a 12" hunk of Oak and I figure that would take around 2x the power of my saw or 1 to 1 1/2 hp? I can't get at my motor now to read the HP rating but it certainly in not more than one HP, and memory and size tells me it's 1/2.
If I were buying a bs today, I would buy the best one I could afford. To me, the bs is my most used tool. Perhaps the drill press is used as much but I would think even a cheap DP would do the job. A band saw needs to be high quality to work right and adjust easily and the bigger the better, and more expensive. Cheap saws probably can work fine, but are difficult to set up right and STAY that way.
In that regard, Leon's bs sucks, in the nicest possible way:-)
--
Jack

Yeah, It "sucks" goooood. LOL. The last resawing for a kitchen "re-do was in October, I was resawing 3/4" thick and 6" wide hard maple. I was getting 5 veneers just a hair under 3/32" thick from each board. With the 4.5 hp I was able to resaw the 6" maple about as fast as I could push the wood through the blade. Probably as fast as simply ripping 3/4" thick hard maple on my cabinet saw.

Similar story here. I spent $100 on a 1960's vintage 12" Sears Craftsman with a 1/3 HP motor. I invested about that much again in parts (mostly new tires and some missing guards) and some good Timberwolf blades, and I've got a perfectly usable tool for what I use it for.
I've even managed to slice some 6" wide veneers on it, but that's an exercise in patience (and perhaps, obstinance). If I ever wanted to do that kind of stuff in any serious way, I'd be looking for a heftier saw. I suppose I could put a larger motor on this one.