Band Saw Link Belts??? Drill Press??

I am contemplating replacing the belts on my Delta 14" Band Saw and (2) on my Floor Model Drill Press with the Link belts I use on my SEARS table saw with such great results.

I was curious to hear if anyone has tried them on either thier BS or DP and what their experience(s) might have been.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

It almost always helps...

I did my bandsaw for a pretty fair improvement.

Hoosierp> I am contemplating replacing the belts on my Delta 14" Band Saw and

Reply to
Pat Barber

Food for thought here, I have a Rockwell DP that is going on 30 years old. I got it new and the belt on it, like most all belts that come on wood working equipment, is an industrial type. From day one the DP vibrated on the fastest speed setting but because I almost always used it on the slowest settings that vibration seldom came into play. Last week the belt began to go bad so I took it to an auto supply store and asked to have the belt matched up to an "Automotive" style belt. These belts when compared to an industrial belt look very refined and tend to be better balanced because of the need to operate at much higher speeds than industrial belts.

The Automotive style belt is now on the DP and there is almost no vibration by comparison. With tax, $7.26, much cheaper than a link belt.

If your pulleys are small in diameter ask for the style that has the notches cut out on the inside, this will allow the belt to bend around a tighter radius.

Reply to
Leon

"Pat Barber" wrote

Same on my Delta 14" ... noticeable for sure. Haven't done the DP yet , but it's "in the plans".

Reply to
Swingman

I replaced the stock belts on my Jet DP with link belts and the difference in noise and felt vibration was significant. It doesn't drill any better, but it's sure nicer to use when it's not whininhg at me.

BTW, I also put some of that sticky backed foam weatherstripping around the edge of the belt enclosure door. That cut out a bunch of noise as well.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

For the OP, using the link belts on my Jet DP, I noticed two results. First there is significantly less vibration, and even better, it is much quicker and easier to switch belts around on the pulleys to change speed. From my point of view, a very worthwhile modification.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Mine made a huge difference on my band saw and 8" jointer.

My drill press has a green "soft belt" I bought at the hardware store that doesn't vibrate at all, so I didn't bother with a link belt.

**
**

B A R R Y

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thank you all for the feedback

HFT has a link belt on sale for $19 - I think I'll try that on the BS. Some places are looking to get $8/ft for the red ones! [Power Twist Link Belt]

I believe teh belts referred to for small pulleys are called "cogged" belts. see:

manufactures yellow and black Link V-Belts called Durolink, made with the help of one of the inventors of the original Link V-Belts. For more information visit BDH, Inc.
Drives manufactures red Link V-Belts called PowerTwist Plus=AE. Fenner has manufactured Power Twist belts for more than 30 years and has developed several innovative versions for special applications. For more information visit Fenner Drives

Hoosierpopi

I put link on my 14" Ridgid BS and it's much quieter now and the belt tension is more adjustable.. I use link belt on anything that it will fit on..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I stumbled on it. It's a regular vee-belt, green in color, bur softer than any belt I've seen. I also have one on my lawn mower deck.

The DP belt came from the lawn mower section of a hardware store, the big green belt came from NAPA.

**
**

B A R R Y

Thanks. I'll go by NAPA someday soon and take a look.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Be aware that my NAPA is a regional warehouse with 100's of thousands of square feet. I asked for a belt of the correct size at the counter, and the clerk gave me a choice of 5-6 styles.

In a normal NAPA store, expect to wait a day for the part to be delivered to the store from the warehouse. I doubt they carry them in stores, except for locally popular lawn equipment.

**
**

B A R R Y

You hit the nail on the head, link belts don't do much for the price.

Reply to
Marc Britten

I put a 7 dollar Gates cogged V belt on my Delta 14" and vibration all but disappeared (eyes closed, fingers on table I can kinda feel a little).

Reply to
Marc Britten