Band saw fence

Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or both? Thanks

The Jet fence came with my saw. Adequate, but that is about all I can say for it. If you want to do a lot of resawing, especially on wide boards, I'd look to buy or make something better.

I've got the Jet that came with my 16" saw. I agree... just adequate. I've added taller auxiliary slabs of 1/2" Melamine for resawing and learned that out of the box I couldn't get the fence square to the table. I had to do some fiddling to make it so. It ain't no Biesemeyer, that's for sure.
Look at this guy's work... very nice and can be adapted to about any saw currently built...
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/jigs.html
and one of the better web sites around. Ken is a hell of a nice guy and will answer any questions.
Rick Samuel wrote:

Build your own.. that way it's not only simple, cheap and effective, but it can evolve as your needs and skills change without modifying an expensive fence..
I've borrowed several types of fences for resawing and general stuff, and the one that cut best was 18" of straight 1" x 6" hardwood and a couple of clamps... It's ridged, adjustable and gets out of your way when you're not cutting straight lines..
Note: alignment of the fence to the blade path is much more important than the brand of fence, IMHO.. without alignment, you'll be unhappy with any fence..
I use the redneck method: find a piece of scrap flat stock with at least 2 square sides...
Draw a line using the square edge down the middle of the stock...
Cut 1/2 way through the stock, following the line and turn the saw off, WITHOUT moving the stock...
Draw a line on the table with a pencil along the side that's square to the cut..
Align your fence to this line, or measure the angle and set your fence to it..
YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Rick Samuel wrote:

The fence on the King saw is the Toolex fence I guess -- it is OK. You have to drill it to add high fences for ripping etc... Here is a link to a picture of the fence.
http://nicks.ca/machacs.html
I have bought from Nick before...
Rick Samuel wrote:

At some point you're going to make a larger top for you bandsaw. While you're at it you can make your own fence. Here's enough info to do it.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Resawing1.html and, with a 3 tpi hook tooth blade, tensioned properly and with the guides set right - you can make your own 1/16th inch veneer and bookmatched boards for cabinet doors, drawer fronts etc. No one's come up with a board stretcher yet - but resawing comes close. see 2nd & 3rd pics on this page
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/SharpeningCenter/SharpeningCenter7.html
charlie b

If you wish to buy one and not build one, definitely go for the Kreg fence. it is very nice and fully adjustable to compensate for blade drift etc. I previously used a clamped piece of wood as a fence but find the Kreg fence quicker and simpler to use now.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Veritas (LV) Medium Shoulder Plane - Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals - Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System - Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update) - Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler - Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage ------------------------------------------------------------
The Kreg fence used to be called Fasttrack and was sold by BS god Mark Duginske. Kreg bought it. It's a nice fence and I'm thinking about getting it myself. I like the micrometer adjustment.
Mule also makes a nice BS fence.
http://www.mulecab.com /
Layne

And they made several improvements to it. See my other post.

I bought the Kreg after comparing it to the FastTrack predecessor. (The woodcraft store had both at the same time).
Some points:
You can adjust the fence for alignment two dimensions. This is handy for resawing and compensating for saw drift.
You can flip the fence so that it works for a low cut.
You can add various attachments to the T-fence, like a flip stop, the 4" or 7" resaw fence, micro-adjustor, etc. Or make your own.
I re-drilled the mounting holes to make the fence more useful, as the left side rail had a lot of useless space on my 14" Jet.
It is more expensive, but I think you won't outgrow it.