Band saw cool blocks?

I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in going over it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color. Can anyone tell me if these are just a phenolic resin or are they cool blocks? TIA again. Larry
--
larry in Cinci

Larry wrote:>I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in going over

All the cool-blocks(tm) I've seen were black.. TM Someday, it'll all be over....
Cool Blocks are a dark gray color, so whatever you've got, it's no them.
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:03:44 -0400, "larry in cinci"

Cool blocks are just basically micarta, far as I can tell. Micarta comes in many colors.
Can you see layers? squiggley layers. or flat layers?
If the blocks are a phenolic, and many years old, I'd replace them.
Hey, good deal on the saw, anyway!!
-Dan V.
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:03:44 -0400, "larry in cinci"

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:28:22 -0500, Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote:

True for Micarta, buit not for CoolBlocks.
Coolblocks are similar to Micarta, in that they're layers of fabric in a polymer matrix. However Cool Blocks are also impregnated with a lubricant (MS2 ?) which Micarta isn't. This colours their matrix dark grey.

The red blocks that I've seen seemed to be HDPE.
I've not seen plain phenolic blocks, and they'd be more of a brown than red. I don't doubt they exist, but I think they'd tend to overheat and char if you ever ran them too tight.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:46:07 +0100, Andy Dingley

my bandsaw has red phenolic blocks. they appear to be original equipment on a saw from the 60's and worn but serviceable and no sign of burning.
HDPE is IIRC heat formable. doesn't seem like it would be a great choice for bandsaw blocks....
Cool Blocks replacement. I have been selling Lignum Vitae wood guide blocks for $5 a set of four for both Grizzly, Jet and Delta bandsaws. This wood is self lubricating and so dense it won't float. I've sold nearly 100 sets on woodnet forum. Cheers Mike

blocks
is
............ even better to make your own see: http://www.inthewoodshop.org/methods/wwc03n.shtml
and his link to my site showing how it can be done.
Larry
Get rid of the cool blocks and get a blade stablizer from TWC. Once a blade stablizer is installed you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

The Weather Channel? When did they start selling woodworkin stuff? :-)
Seriously, what's TWC?
Thanks
isn't this an awfully old thread?
anyway- The Woodworkers Choice. Usually seen at woodworking shows.
http://www.thewoodworkerschoice.com /

Thanks for the all the answers. Larry

over
Can