Band saw comparisons

Amazon has a decent deal on bandsaws right now, so I'm thinking of getting one while I can save a few bucks. My requirements are:
14" bandsaw Minimum 1 HP (don't think you can really get it much less) 6" riser block included
Okay, so with shipping added, here are the final costs of the four models I'm looking at:
Grizzly G0555 - $553 Delta 28-206 - $585 Jet 708115K - $617 Jet 710115K - $707
Any suggestions on which is the best for the money?
Jack
I am very happy with my Delta 14 inch. Had it for about 10 years. I plan to install the riser block system early next month. I don't know if the blade tensioning system on the model you listed is the same as on the X-5 model but if it is you will find it to be a pleasant time saver when changing blades. Marc
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> writes:

I have the last one, and love it, but I wished I saved up for the Powermatic at $200 more.
The quick release in the Deluxe is OK, but a Carter is better.
The Powermatic has these extras over the Jet Deluxe Carter Quick Release Miter Gauge Rip Fence 1 1/2 HP motor Wider table Lamp Blower Roller Bearing guides
That's a lot for the $899, and I see an additional $110 off from Amazon if you buy before January 21st. So that's $789 plus shipping.
The $99 shipping plus $80 would bring the final total (accounting for the $110 deduction) to $970. This would stretch my budget a bit more than I can take right now. The Jet 710115K is a tad over what I'd like to spend right now, but I included it on the list because it is so highly rated.
Bruce Barnett wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:04:18 -0700, mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

I've got a version of the Jet (a few years old) It's probably closer to the 708115K. It's done me quite well. I have had good luck with it. With that being said, I've looked at the Grizzly units in the showroom and wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
DGA
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> writes:

The Jets are good saws. But consider this. You want to release the tension on the blade when you are done at the end of the day. This protects your tires, blads, and saw. You also want to be able to change blades easily. Cranking the knob on a 3/4" blade to get proper tension is not easy. The Quick Release on the Jet Deluxe only releases some of the tension. So the Carter looks good to me. But having some quick-release is better than none, IMHO.
But you can always add a Carter to your Jet ($140) later.
Call up Iturra and ask for their free catalog, BTW.

Woodcraft has the Powermatic bandsaw on sale. $100 off and $100 rebate. If you have on in your area it might b worth chcking out.
I just bought the Powermatic 14" at the Baltimore Woodshow for $799 (AFTER $100 Rebate that was in effect, I think it still is in effect). The seller also threw in a mobile base. Also included on this model, in addition to the list on the previous post, was the quick tensioner dohicky, a Carter as I recall. This is my first bandsaw, should have it in a week. No shipping for me because I am only 10 miles from Cayce the seller.
Dave
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:15:07 -0700, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I am not sure about this. Don't these usually have free shipping? They don't now and the discount ~= the shipping cost. There's rebates on the Jet's, but those appear to be good till march.
-Leuf
Naw, Amazon plays with the shipping, sometimes offering the free shipping and then at other times taking it back. At the moment, the shipping on these beasts is $99.
The $110 discount on Amazon is in addition to the rebates ($50) given by Jet. But the $110 discount is only good until Jan. 21.
Jack
Leuf wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:39:20 -0700, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

Right, and I bet you Jan 22 the free shipping will be back. It's still probably the best deal you'll get while the rebate is in effect, but I would look at it as $10 off + rebate.
You might also look at the Craftsman 14" on sale at $455.99 (It says sale ends 1/16 though, regular $479.99). It's a bit shy in the resaw and I doubt takes a riser, but is stock at 8". With 1 hp more than that is pushing it anyway. Assuming you can get to a Sears you can check it out in person at least. There was a review posted recently of their 12" that was very favorable except for the motor.
It's a 2 speed, 1600 or 3300 fps. I don't know what the advantage of that is, the lower speed isn't slow enough for metal. Maybe more torque for resawing?
-Leuf
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

I've got the Grizzly. Haven't installed the riser block yet, although I have one. I am quite satisfied with this saw. I have not used another bandsaw as a comparison however (this is my first!). It has a quick release tensioner, bearing rollers (easily changed out to cool blocks with parts from Grizzly, less than $15 IIRC), and seems to be pretty stout. I haven't really used it much for resawing but the little I have, it's worked fine. Change the blade as the one they ship is crap. Cheers, cc
I love my G0555. I installed the riser block. I have 4 105" blades, 3/4" on down.

I did, of course, expect good reviews on all of these. For reasons of cost, and for the fact that I've never heard anything bad about Grizzly's ... I'll probably go with the G0555. If I find, in the future, that I'm in need of more than what the Grizzly offers, I'll upgrade. But my guess is that won't happen for five years or more!
Thanks!
Jack
Dave wrote:

I'm not so pleased with my Grizzly 0555. I consider it to be a modest saw at a mediocre price with poor customer service.
I ordered the band saw, riser block kit and mobile base on Sunday Jan. 8th. and received the order on Thu. Jan. 13th ( which I thought was pretty good delivery). Unfortunately, the riser kit was missing the guidepost.
Since then I made 3 phone calls to Grizzly customer support, spoken with 5 people and received no indication or assurances of when I might expect to receive the missing part. The one manager I spoke with was unable to provide any information beyond "we've started the paperwork" and that multiple signatures were required before he could even know when they would be able to ship the missing part. "It could take 2 or 3 days, it could take 2 or 3 weeks" was what he said. When I asked if there was someone else I could call he indicated that the only recourse left to me was to send an email to snipped-for-privacy@grizzly.com. Apparently the missing guidepost is backordered and for whatever reason, they wouldn't just ship me another riser kit ( I dunno, maybe all of the riser kits are missing the guideposts, sigh...)
It wasn't until I called back ( my 4th call ) and asked to return the saw that I got any "service" from Grizzly customer service. My missing guidepost is supposed to arrive tomorrow, though at this point I'm not particularly optimistic that the correct part will indeed arrive on my doorstep in the near future.
My decision to purchase this saw was made, in part, on what I have read in this group concerning the G0555, as well as various kudos to Grizzly's customer support. All I can say is that Grizzly must have made some recent and significant changes to their customer support processes. Either that, or I've somehow wandered into the Twilight Zone. The level of customer support that I've experienced so far bears no resemblence to what I've previously read about this company in this group.
I've used it to resaw 2x12's and to rip some smaller stock. The most positive thing that I can saw about this saw is that it does appear to be very well balanced. It's apparent that the wheels have been well balanced, there is very little vibration in the machine. Having said that, it really is not capable of tensioning a 3/4" blade properly, though I was able to achieve some modest results resawing with a 1/2" blade.
I've had great customer service from Grizzly, but I can guess bad apples can creep in to any operation. As far tensioning a 3/4" blade, no 14" Delta style saw can properly tension a 3/4" blade. The springs and frame will not take it. BTW, how are you resawing a 2x10 with no guidepost?
snipped-for-privacy@cjordan.net wrote:

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule: