Band Saw Blades

Page 2 of 2

Iturra's free catalog Duginski's book.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I use plain old $12 Olson's, width excellent results on my 14" Delta w/ riser.
I'd probably not use a 3/4" blade, as most 14" saws won't tension it properly. I get excellent resaw results with a 3 TPI 1/2". I usually leave that blade on the saw, as I also use it for rough ripping. I'll switch to a 1/4" 6TPI or 3/16" 8TPI for curves.
The Olson blades seem to work best with the blades tensioned ~ 1 width higher on the saw scale, based on the "flutter" test. For example, I tension a 1/2" blade to the 5/8" mark on the scale.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:29:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My preference is a 3/8" blade... Ok for what little resawing I do and good for curves..
I've tried most name brand blades and can't see any difference between them and the ones that I have made at the local saw shop.. I might just have a saw shop that stocks good quality blade rolls and such..
I have the Ridgid (same as Griz) with the Griz riser kit, using 105" blades. I pay about $12 each, in lots of 5..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I agree with dadiOH - Highland Hardware's WoodSlicer is the best blade I've ever used, and I just wish they made them in sizes smaller than 1/2". If your Grizzly will accommodate a 1/2" blade, but all means get a WoodSlicer; it's the Forrest Woodworker of bandsaw blades (well, as close as you're going to get, unless you move up to a big daddy saw with a carbide blade).
Woodworker's Supply is now carrying Bahco/Starrett blades (two of my favorite brand names) at reasonable prices. Just today I received my first batch of these blades (two 1/4" and one 3/8") for my MiniMax and I'm anxious to put them to the test. The 1/4" blade sliced through some scrap Pecan like buttah, and I used it to cut some router templates with plenty of tight curves and was quite pleased with the results. Now if they just don't break before they lose their edge I'll be happy. Most of the other 1/4" blades I've used have been either Timberwolf or Olson and they've all broken before they had a chance to get dull. Of course, with the MiniMax it's very easy to over-tension a blade, so I could just be expecting too much of my poor little 1/4" blades... :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:29:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

First do yourself a favor and get Mark Duginski's book on bandsaws. A well-tuned bandsaw is an absolute joy to use and Mark goes over the steps involved. These steps should be done often and don't take a lot of time. I have always used Delta-brand blades on my Delta bandsaw because that's what's available locally, maybe not the best brand, but not the worst either. If you want the best possible cut, take the time to use the appropriate blade for the work at hand. I am surprised how many woodworkers never change their blades.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I just got the Griz G0555 and it's a nice machine. The 3/8" relatively fine tooth blade that came with it is what you call "not aggressive".
I'm saving my pennies to get the riser kit and then will try a Timberwolf 1/2" 3 tpi from woodcraft, even though they run about $30 per which is about 3 times the cost of the cheapies. They do make a 3/4" 3 tpi for the 105" blade needed for the riser kit at about the same price.