Bamboo wood

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Thanks for the various inputs. I just returned from Bed/Bath etc. and they have a lot of stuff made from Bamboo. It's claimed to be harder then maple wood and is made by laminated strands of the bamboo. I have several web sites for the manufactures of the stuff I saw and plan on contacting them. They may have more info on where I can get enough of the stuff that I can use to build something. Thanks to all! Chuck

I should warn you of one drawback to working with bamboo. It contains silica and dulls your tools. Not a fatal flaw, but one to be aware of.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Chuck

Unfortunately, hemp is wind pollinated, which means anyone growing a stand of potent females for use for anything *beside* cordage is going to have a disappointing crop, and the seeds will likewise be useless. One could argue convincingly that prohibition has done more for the quality of present day cannabis than generations of the most knowledgeable Dutch horiticulturists.

Unfortunately, hemp is wind pollinated, which means anyone growing a stand of potent females for use for anything *beside* cordage is going to have a disappointing crop, and the seeds will likewise be useless. One could argue convincingly that prohibition has done more for the quality of present day cannabis than generations of the most knowledgeable Dutch horiticulturists.
Chuck wrote:

I found a couple:
http://calibamboo.com/index.html
http://www.bamboohardwoods.com/items.asp?Cc=PLY/VENEER
I am trying to find a local source rather than pay all the freight. This might be something I would use once I have a few projects under my belt.
--
Just James

"Never utter these words: I do not know this, therefore it is false.
hello,

Shop Co has bamboo flooring at $2.1 a ft! I just bought 300ft for flooring... in addition, it's a fairly light bamboo, which is good (to darken bamboo, it is boiled and this makes it softer, so as a rule of thumb, with bamboo, the lighter the harder)... it is sold by boxes of roughtly 25ft for 49$ or so.
But I also used that same flooring to make bamboo sushi sets... pass the slats in the planer to get 1/2 finished boards. since you still have the tongues and groves, it is easy to glue them together to make large boards. bamboo seems to glue well...
regards, cyrille
Cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

Thanks for the info. Chuck B.