Bamboo wood

I should warn you of one drawback to working with bamboo. It contains silica and dulls your tools. Not a fatal flaw, but one to be aware of.

Reply to
salty

Thanks for the heads up. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I'm talking about a small trailer pulled by a *motorcycle* so weight is a major concern. I'm probably going to use aluminum. For a bigger trailer pulled by my truck or van I'd use steel also. Real bamboo is tubular, not the stuff that's been converted into dimensional lumber, and has some nice strength to weight characteristics. Finding the right kind might be difficult.

Anyway, I never really thought about it seriously, just a 2 minute I-wonder-if-I-could thought, terminated by the realization that somebody at VDOT would be looking at it eventually. It would be light, though.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

I ride also. Vehicle inspection as a last chance sanity check is a good thing from that perspective. I wouldn't want a rickshaw dumping its load on the road in front of me. All the same, it doesn't have to look like the bamboo stick bicycle trailers I saw in a web search. Google them, and then tell me if those pictures don't give you the heebeejeebies. My concerns were with the flimsy connections, which are completely addressed at the bamboo bicycle link I subsequently posted. A lug made from pre-preg composites would solve the problem. That, and firing the stalks to prevent splintering and sudden deconstruction while in use. I think that kind of construction is rather pretty cool. I might give it a try at some point (but maybe not in a trailer, at least at first).

Reply to
MikeWhy

hello,

Shop Co has bamboo flooring at $2.1 a ft²! I just bought 300ft² for flooring... in addition, it's a fairly light bamboo, which is good (to darken bamboo, it is boiled and this makes it softer, so as a rule of thumb, with bamboo, the lighter the harder)... it is sold by boxes of roughtly 25ft² for 49$ or so.

But I also used that same flooring to make bamboo sushi sets... pass the slats in the planer to get 1/2 finished boards. since you still have the tongues and groves, it is easy to glue them together to make large boards. bamboo seems to glue well...

regards, cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brebisson

Unfortunately, hemp is wind pollinated, which means anyone growing a stand of potent females for use for anything *beside* cordage is going to have a disappointing crop, and the seeds will likewise be useless. One could argue convincingly that prohibition has done more for the quality of present day cannabis than generations of the most knowledgeable Dutch horiticulturists.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Unfortunately, hemp is wind pollinated, which means anyone growing a stand of potent females for use for anything *beside* cordage is going to have a disappointing crop, and the seeds will likewise be useless. One could argue convincingly that prohibition has done more for the quality of present day cannabis than generations of the most knowledgeable Dutch horiticulturists.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Thanks for the info. Chuck B.

Reply to