bamboo plywood

Has anyone used bamboo plywood for any jobs? Seems to be the new craze, especially since it is so environmentally correct.
Is that another term for "yuppie shit"?

If "yuppie shit" means protecting the environment yes. If you oppose protecting the environment then you hate human beings and animals.

Ah, I hear the faint, nonsensical ranting of an enviroweenie off in the distance.

CW wrote:

And we all hear the loud cackling of the over consuming ignoramus that can't think farther ahead than the 30 seconds it takes to sell him the latest crap he thinks he needs. Oh, Hi CW. Scott.

Ah yes, the sound of the 'I'd rather spout abuse than reasoned argument bird'. One we would not mind going extinct...
Peter

I'm all about the environment, to the point of doing errands on foot and by bicycle. I belong to some environmental groups, served on the board of directors of a cycling advocacy group, and my brother-in-law owns an organic CSA farm. I spar with CW on a regular basis, but this time, I agree with him.
What makes bamboo "yuppie shit" is that it's a composite product, made of grass that renews in 3-5 years and glue of an unknown formula, that sells for more than solid woods that take 40-60 years to renew.
If bamboo really were about the environment, it would sell for $1 sq/ft.
The environmental aspect is pure marketing, designed to fuel demand for a hyped, overpriced product. Where are the environmental studies about the chemical emissions of the Chinese bamboo plank factories (especially the flooring finishers!), or the "fair-trade" treatment of the harvesting and factory workers?
Well said.

The top of my Chinese-made Workmate is bamboo plywood. Over the years, Workmate tops have been plywood, particle board, whatever was cheap at the time. This tells me that we're getting ripped off when bamboo is sold as a "premium" material in North America. <G>
Some bamboo is actually attractive, and I like the finished look. I've seen some bamboo floors that I liked. However, when the manufacturers blab on and on about how it quickly grows in 3-5 years, is easy to grow, etc... How come it costs more than oak and maple?
B A R R Y wrote:

Bamboo is skinny and hollow. Even if individual shoots grow up quickly, the actual volume of material growth may not be more than oak or maple.
Mark

I agree!!
So where's the "environmental" savings?
If it were there, so would the price advantage.

If that is the case, then it takes just as long or longer for bamboo to renew as it does any other type of "wood".
Based on the price, I would say bamboo is much more endangered than oak or maple.

Not true since the growth form of a bamboo plant makes harvesting mature stems more akin to coppicing than removing a tree. Since bamboo often grows as a margin plant on the edge of forest it means it can be harvested without disturbing the forest. So providing people aren't cutting down mature forest to grow the stuff as they are with Palm Oil (almost wholly trans fat btw) then it is environmentally good.
Peter

While the thread below fills my kill file full of new posters, I'd like to give you something at least moderately on topic.
I've used bamboo boards for a headboard that was in an asian themed bedroom. I found it surprisingly easy to work with, somewhere between oak and birch, but not very finish friendly. The stock I used had a fairly dark color to it already and I was mostly looking to just seal it up and keep the natural color, but it came out a little blotchy because (I suspect) of the way that the grain caught the light. While this isn't plywood, it was the same stuff as your veneer would be. Hope that helps.
Jason The place where you made your stand never mattered, only that you were there... and still on your feet
Rick wrote:

I installed a bamboo floor for my daughter about three years ago--it looks good and shows very little to no wear after the three years.
Rick wrote:

Bamboo is grass. Save your lawn clippings and make your own plygrass.