Bamboo lumber?

Guy at work brought in a piece of prefinished bamboo flooring he is considering. It is about 4" wide and 3/4" thick with the tongues & grooves like traditional wood flooring. The 'boards' appear to be 3 plys of compressed bamboo.

Looks very nice and seems to be lighter than oak and probably more stable since it is made of plys. Might be something worth trying for some project or other. Anyone ever try to buy or use bamboo lumber if something exists?

How is it to work with?

Reply to
RayV

(Google is your friend... :) )

Just so happens I'd done some looking relatively recently, but there are a zillion sources of info on bamboo available. Most relate to flooring but information on other uses for bamboo lumber is readily available.

Reply to
dpb

When I was in HongKong about 5 years ago they were errecting a 20 story building with scaffolding made entirely out of bamboo and nets. It was a site to see!

Reply to
Oughtsix

Scary ain't it.:)

Jimmy

Well, I tell ya . . .

My first impulse is that I don't like the stuff. It ain't right. Grass for flooring? *shudder*

But that's just my bias. A friend of mine recently (4 months ago) re- floored her bonus room with the stuff and is ecstatic. She just loves it. According to her, the crew that put it in said it went in like a dream, was easy to work with, and is utterly stable.

For me, well . . .

If it ain't a stick, it just ain't right.

I don't use MDF either.

I can be convinced to use plywood. But I always feel so dirty afterwards.

Bill Ultra-c> Guy at work brought in a piece of prefinished bamboo flooring he is

Reply to
bill.mcnutt

Plyboo and others import and sell various verison of 4x8 by 1/2 and

3/4" ply. They have a few different configurations of lay-up and a few different coloring (baked or natural). It cuts, shapes and sands real nice and takes a decent finish. It is very abrasive on tools. I suppose because of all the resin\glue and can be fuzzy edged on some cuts but very consistent.

This is what you see all the bamboo cutting boards made from. They claim "harder than Maple".

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com