Bamboo flooring on a concrete floor?

I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice! Thanks Chris

Reply to
PDQ

I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice! Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris

chris wrote in news:1192737960.562541.76100 @q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

What does the product manufacturer say? Will the warranty the material for 15, 25, 50 years if you do lay it on a concrete floor?

Recently, there was an episode of Homes on Holmes where the wood floor laid on concrete was causing trouble. The plastic under the floor was nailed through, allowing moisture to wick its way up in to the floor.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

DON'T use polly under the wood. If the concrete gets cold & room air is warm it will cause compensation. Use something that will breath. IMO

JR.

Reply to
Jerry - OHIO

It's all up to the manufacturer. Especially check the allowed room temperature and relative humidity limits for the warrantee to be valid. Mine were 50 to 80 deg F and 35 to 65 % RH. My RH was below 35% for a long time, the floor cupped and split and the mfr said "Sorry Charlie, the problem is yours." This was for a floor glued to a plywood subfloor, and only took 2 to

3 months from installation to become visible. I wood personally be worried more about the above floor conditions. The manufacturer is the final judge.
Reply to
TinWoodsmn

Floating floor, if that's available.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

can you put a floating floor over water? haha

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen