Baltic birch vs. Poplar for Bathroom Cabinet

Page 2 of 2
On 12/8/11 9:22 AM, Swingman wrote:

I'm automatically suspect of any salesman who says, "Poplar is both more stable and more workable than Birch." Really!?
In any case, it's entirely possible that they actually make more profit on the less expensive poplar than the more expensive Birch, which may influence his recommendation.
--

-MIKE-

I wouldn't worry about it. It's well made plywood and the primer and paint will seal it completely. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Especially since the plywood wouldn't/shouldn't be in direct contact with the floor.
Max

Yes... my plan is to put it on top of a 1.5" base (made of 2x4's) which will be well covered by the 3" molding...
On 12/3/11 10:32 PM, Max wrote:

Since when? Why?
--

-MIKE-

The cabinet "should" set on a base. (That's how I've always built mine; YMMV)
Max
Max wrote:

Yes, and isn't that called a Toe Kick???
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On 12/4/11 11:47 AM, Rich wrote:

Many toe kicks are cut into the plywood carcass of the cabinet. My question has nothing to do with one's preference or any implicit quality level involved in the choice. My question is directed to the context of the thread which is about water absorbing into the plywood.
So, when someone says, "plywood shouldn't be in direct contact with the fly," I ask, why not?
--

-MIKE-

On 12/4/2011 12:58 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

And you're right with new construction and regions where foundations are traditionally laid over a vapor barrier that prevents "wicking" from the surrounding soil into the concrete slab ... once the concrete is cured the moisture content in the concrete is not usually enough to effect the edge of a plywood end panel with a toe kick notch in it, and there is nothing to stop that type of cabinet from sitting on a vapor barrier itself at minimal cost.
All bets are off in regions where below grade building; basements, etc, is prevalent.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 12/4/11 1:44 PM, Swingman wrote:

How many bathroom cabinets are on foundation concrete, however? And is the OP's?
(did I write "fly?") :-)
--

-MIKE-

Nope... it's on the 3rd floor. The question is whether some occassional wicking from small "puddles" left over from showers or baths is an issue?
On 12/4/11 10:29 PM, blueman wrote:

I guess I'm just trying to figure out who's getting puddles on their bathroom floors. Little quarter sized pools where some drops have gathered, yes, but enough to cover the floor to the point it reaches the cabinets? You'd have to be a pretty large person to leave a puddle when you get out of the shower. Several large people. And besides, who's *not* using bath mats?
If you're leaving those kinds of puddles, you need a locker room, not a bathroom. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Yeah, I got a bag of 100 nylon nail-in feet at a garbadj sale and they'll last my lifetime and then some.
http://www.componentforce.com/category/313/nail-on-feet like these
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
<...other stuff skipped...>

<...snipped...>
Why did that sentence make me think of Jesus Christ?

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 02:57:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

You naughty boy. <g>
I don't think they had panty hose back then, LW. And even if they did, and he did wear 'em, I doubt he'd have been wearing them at the time. (Sorry, J)
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
blueman wrote:

Yes. Or any other plywood.
--

dadiOH
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 20:58:54 -0500, blueman wrote:

It's my understanding that "Finnish Birch" is the same as "Baltic Birch" except the FB uses exterior glue and the BB does not. You might want to consider the FB.

They're all euphemisms for Soviet Birch. Only the Soviet Union is no more and the name has stuck. Read the fine print, don't just assume from the nomenclature that it has specific properties.
snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

-------------------------------- "Baltic" includes not only Russian but also other Eastern European producers.
Only Finland uses exterior glue.
Lew