baltic birch ply in central Alabama?

Anyone know where to buy full sheets of 3/4" baltic birch plywood in the Birmingham, AL area?

Woodcraft is mighty proud of their prices. I need quite a bit and am willing to drive a bit.

Thanks.

Reply to
bob

Bob- I buy 3/4" birch plywood (7-ply cabinet grade) in 4'x8' sheets at Lowe's in Huntsville for $41.00 per sheet.

-- KayCee North Alabama Woodchipper

Reply to
KayCee

Don't do what I did and walk into a wood supply and ask for a 4x8 sheet of Baltic birch, or you may be laughed out of the store

As far as I know, it only comes in 5x5

John

Reply to
John Crea

I've seen it in 4 x 8.

Reply to
Bridger

It is available on the east side of Atlanta at Atlanta Wood Products Center, AWPC, 5400 Riverview Rd, Mableton GA, 800-954-7804. You come across I20 and then head north on I-285 to the South Cobb Drive exit. Turn right, take your first right and it is down about 3/4 of a mile.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

Bob,

Try your local lumber yard. Mine carries 1/2" but they say they can get 3/4" in 2 or 3 days. If the volume is enough you can probably cut a good deal as they just have to place the order - little or no inventory carry time.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

4'x8' sheets of Baltic Birch or Finish Birch? Not ApplyPly? Where?
Reply to
mttt

You sure that was Baltic or Finnish Birch and not just cabinet grade plywood??

I know that ApplePly comes in full 4x8 or even 4x10 sheets with the multiple plys like the foreign stuff

John

Reply to
John Crea

at mcewen lumber here in tucson. it's definitely not a regular stocking item for them. it wasn't even out on the floor... I suspect that it wasn't even for sale. it was either one or two lifts worth, stuck back in a corner like it was someone's personal stash. I don't know what the country of origin was, but they carry the russian stuff, so I suspect that's what it was. I had heard that some of the baltic manufacturers were making some 4x8 sheets, but that was the first time I had seen any in the wild. and the last....

it was definitely 4' x 8' sheets though.

Reply to
Bridger

yep too.

Reply to
Bridger

According to the very latest issue of ShopNotes....Baltic Birch plywood comes from somewhere along the Baltic Sea. Russia I suppose. It's thicknesses are measured in the metric i.e. 18mm for 3/4 inch. Available in

5'x5' sheets.

Here's some links I found...

this helps. Joe kb8qlr

Be sure to check-out our webpages...

pictures & links being added frequently.

Reply to
kb8qlr

Perhaps at Hardwoods Inc. of Alabama, in Jemison (near Clanton).

(800) 467-4160 or (205) 646-4160.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

I forgot about Hardwoods Inc. I'll call them tomorrow.

I found 1/2" baltic in 5x5 sheets at Magic City Plywood, downtown Birmingham, for $21/sheet (good price).

I've been unsuccessful so far finding 3/4" (pending Hardwoods, Inc). Lowes can special order but you have to buy an entire bundle at $33/sheet. Bundle is 40 sheets.

Interesting situation with Lowes. They don't stock baltic birch ply. They can special order it, from a LOCAL wholesaler. You go to Lowes, pay for the ply, Lowes calls the wholesaler with a PO, and you go to the wholesaler and pick it up. Lowes priced 1/2" baltic for me at $29/sheet. Magic City is not the wholesaler. United Plywood is. United won't sell to individuals (I tried)). Magic City does. Magic gets my business for 1/2".

Bob

Reply to
bob

Not even if the individual comes armed with a tax i.d. number?

Reply to
kb8qlr

Magic city plywood has it. We are looking for 1/4" and 1/8" for our laser engraving biz. Know anywhere?

Reply to
DeGaDesigns

I would think to contact ANY local hardwood or lumberyard.

I buy it several sources in Houston, TX. It is not uncommon.

Reply to
Leon

I've never seen it anywhere except Woodcraft and Rockler (damned expensive stuff). All we have for lumberyards are the BORGs and blue-boxes. I still have to visit the hardwood dealers. They're only open during normal business hours so it's difficult to get there.

Reply to
krw

I am paying about $22.50 per 5'x5' sheet of 1/2" And that is the high price . :~)

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, they want $40 for 24x30.

Reply to
krw

I just called Webb Concrete and Building Supply and they dont.

Reply to
swalker