Baltic Birch At MDF Prices

Page 1 of 2
Well, almost.
Just back from Home Depot. They had 4-units of "Classic Birch" sitting there where you'd have to trip over it to get into the store. $29.99 (plus tax) for a 3/4" X 4' X 8' sheet. SKU #269948.
God bless them Chiwanese children and forced prison labor. Now to see if the face veneers flake off.
Your Mileage May Vary, check your local Home Depot for price and availability and as always, PEACE and B*TCH*N'!!!
UA100
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

If the first thing you notice upon cutting into same is that unmistakable stink of "fish glue", you shouldn't have long to wait.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

I have been finding that Chinese Birch plywood at my local supplier for a bit less. It is great paint grade material for building cabinets. Sanded extra smooth if it is the same stuff.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Which one were you at? I was at the West Allis HD today and didn't see it. Or did you buy it all?
Mike
Mike Gerdts wrote:

Da False.

Nope.
UA100

Maybe I'm out of the loop but the only Baltic Birch ply I've ever seen was 5 by 5. and the skids were stamped with Russian. The Oriental imposter is garbage. It warps, delaminates, provides inconsistant thickness within the same sheet and looks at you crosseyed when leaving the HD...no pun intended
Unfortunately some of that refuse found its way into my shop and into my cabinets...I've regreted it ever since.
terry boivin wrote:

In this case I am using Baltic as a generic term. It puts it right away as to what we are talking about.

Did you mean to say slant eyed?

So far so good. I've cut enough Baltic (the real stuff) to almost be able to grade it from across the room. The piece I bought will become a cart for a rotary phase convertor and maybe another thing or two of little consequence for the shoppe. I figured I'd wait before using it for something substantial.
UA100

I learned a few years back that true Baltic Birch plywood was originally from Northern Europe and that which came from Russia was a cheaper made and quality "Baltic Birch". Baltic Birch has become a common name used now days for a plywood that looks like the original Baltic Birch plywood. Appleply being the American version that commonly comes in 4x8 sheets.

Check your local laws on false advertising. Around these parts, if it's labeled "Baltic Birch" it has to be real Baltic birch and if it isn't, you can force them to replace it with the real stuff at their expense.
Mike
wrote:> Check your local laws on false advertising. Around these parts, if it's

The yards selling 2x4's may be in for a big surprise. It is a term and most of the time the substitute for Baltic Birch is normally indicated. When I go to my local yard and ask for Baltic Birch they quickly let me know that what they sell is Russian plywood.
I find this type plywood referred to as Baltic Birch as a Circle Saw is often referred to as a Skil Saw, an adjustable wrench as a Crescent wrench, a Hex wrench referred to as an Allen wrench, an Adjustable line trimmer referred to as a Weed Eater.
Usually the company or region that first introduces a particular item has its name used to describe look alike products.
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:58:42 GMT, "Leon"

Like Trojan?
Barry
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:44:51 +0000, Ba r r y wrote:

"Beware of Greeks bearing Trojans."
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:54:30 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

or, since we're in a text only ng, "beware of geeks bearing gifs"
Mac

But if they _advertise_ a Skil Saw and sell a B&D, and you wanted a Skil Saw, you'd complain, no?
What folks refer to and what is advertised are two different things. If you ask for Baltic and they tell you they have Russion, then they are doing the right thing. If they advertise Baltic and sell something else, that's false advertising. No one should be surprised.
Mike
wrote:>

Correct. I did not see any mention of an Advertisement until your post. I was under the impression that what we were takling about was not found in an ad.

I saw 4x8 and 4x10 (IIRC) at a big hardwood dealer in the city. Same lil' blue furrin stamp.

$29.99? That's pretty high for MDF, isn't it?
-- Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Re-read the first line.
UA100

but your saw will want more an hour after cutting it..
Mac
Is this birch one side and maple on the other, by any chance ???