Balancing veneer question

Soon I'm going to start working on a chest with frame and panel construction. The frame will be red oak, and I have some really nice walnut burl veneer for the panels. The largest panels will be around 10"x20". My intention for the panels is to use 1/4" oak plywood with the oak facing inside the chest and the walnut veneer on the back facing out. I know that to prevent warping the panel should be veneered front and back, but is that something I should be worried about with a full captured panel of this size?
If so, would an acceptable alternative to veneering both sides be to plane off the back layer from the plywood and replacing it with the walnut?
-Leuf

I'd use unveneered ply and veneer both sides. This is cheaper than buying ready veneered ply, and if you're going to veneer one side yourself it's little extra work to do both at the same time.
2 plies on one side would be unbalanced and planing one of them off sounds slower than putting them on from scratch. I'd happily use an unbalanced panel like this if I only wanted to veneer the visible side, but if you want both to look good, then do it right.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:04:07 +0100, Andy Dingley

I guess I should point out that I have some oak ply scraps looking for a home. I have enough to do 3 of 7 panels, a quarter sheet would be enough for the rest if I can find such a thing.
I don't have a local source for veneer, so by the time you factor in shipping it gets expensive. Plus there's a couple dollars of glue used up. Haven't tried pricing it all out.
Thanks guys, sounds like either way will work.
-Leuf
I build raised panel doors professionally, and you are correct, with a captured floating panel , veneering one side is enough.
Ken