Bailey #7: What's it worth?

I am buying a table saw and the old gent who's selling it also has a Bailey #7 in very good shape. Japanning in good shape, no rust, sharp. So, what is the resale value? I told him that some of these (possibly) old planes can be worth a couple hundred bucks, and I didn't want to steal it from them.
I told them I'd let them know the approximate value and whether or not I could afford it :).
Thanks,
-Phil Crow
Phil Crow asked: So, what is the resale value? I told him that some of these

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=Stanley+%237
Mind the wrap. I'd say somewhat less than $100 ifit's in good shape. Mine cost me between $40 and $60. Different brands, and such. You didn't say much about the plane, so it's kinda hard to guess accurately.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=Stanley+%237
Snip

Dave,
Thanks for the help. I, uh, didn't even know what to look for on the plane itself until I got home and DAGS. I will probably pick up my cabinet saw tomorrow after work (drive by neener) and will get a more detailed description.
Coming soon: 'The B-day cabinet saw gloat'
-Phil Crow
Phil Crow wrote:

As I see it, the problem now is that you mentioned a couple hundred bucks. If the guy knows what the plane is really worth, he thinks that he's hooked a live one. if he doesn't, you've gotten his hopes up. The answer, as I se it, is to print off the eBay prices for several auctions and take them over with you. Get GOOD pictures and a variety of prices so that his falls in the middle of the quality and therefore the prices. Then offer him a price that seems appropriate, that way he knows that you've done the math and he doesn't feel like he's being bent over. A "win" for both sides.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

"Phil Crow" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Did that include shipping charges? You have to include that to know your actual cost.

Yes it included shipping. It really isn't too much for a plane (compared to a case of drawer slides, etc). I agree you have to include shipping though because sometimes the shipping can run more than the winning bid. It could still be a good deal and many times are, but you have to be careful.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Lowell Holmes" < snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

What type (year) is it? A type 1 bailey in good condition will go for a couple a hundert. A 1950's model will go for $30-$50. There are alot of variables for planes. SH
I bought a #7 from William Alden just a few years ago for $65.

I just got a Type 9, ca. 1905 and paid over a hundred for it. Mainly because I needed a #7 and this was from a dealer with a great reputation. And, I got what I paid for as all the parts are original, it works flawlessly and I didn't have to screw with it.
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) wrote in message

Okay, here's the stuff that's cast into the plane: On the forward end: BAILEY (all caps)
Behind the frog: MAR 25 - 02 AUG 19 - 02
On the rear end: No. 7
So there it is.
-Phil Crow
Phil Crow wrote:

Does it have a frog adjustment screw? That's a nice feature to have for a user plane. Those patent dates are right on the border line of when that feature was introduced; some have 'em, some don't.
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

On 6 Nov 2003 18:46:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) added:

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating /
has instructions on how to date Stanley planes. See if it still works. I used it to date my No. 7C to between 1919 and 1923 (IIRC), but that was quite a few years ago.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
that's cast into the plane:

Definately a type 10. Worth about $90 - $120 in good condition and all the orignal parts are there. Good luck! SH