Bailey #7: What's it worth?

I am buying a table saw and the old gent who's selling it also has a Bailey #7 in very good shape. Japanning in good shape, no rust, sharp. So, what is the resale value? I told him that some of these (possibly) old planes can be worth a couple hundred bucks, and I didn't want to steal it from them.

I told them I'd let them know the approximate value and whether or not I could afford it :).

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Phil Crow asked: So, what is the resale value? I told him that some of these

the wrap. I'd say somewhat less than $100 ifit's in good shape. Mine cost me between $40 and $60. Different brands, and such. You didn't say much about the plane, so it's kinda hard to guess accurately.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Phil:

I just picked one up in good condition, no rust and Japanning in tact, for $65.00. I would say if premo, $75-80 max.

> Mind the wrap. I'd say somewhat less than $100 ifit's in good shape.

Reply to
Mike

Snip

Dave,

Thanks for the help. I, uh, didn't even know what to look for on the plane itself until I got home and DAGS. I will probably pick up my cabinet saw tomorrow after work (drive by neener) and will get a more detailed description.

Coming soon: 'The B-day cabinet saw gloat'

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Phil, I know some on the wreck knock eBay, but one thing it's really good for is to check prices. Look at completed auctions and you can see what they actually sold for. FWIW, I have three #7's and I think I paid between $30-$55 for each.

Of course it matters less what it's worth to all of us and more what it's worth to you. It sounds to me like you don't want it as a collector, but more as a user. If so you can probably pick one up rather cheaply because a little rust won't hurt it (and is easy to clean up) plus the japanning isn't critical for a user. In other words, don't pay extra for something you don't need if you could buy a cheaper user elsewhere.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Did that include shipping charges? You have to include that to know your actual cost.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

As I see it, the problem now is that you mentioned a couple hundred bucks. If the guy knows what the plane is really worth, he thinks that he's hooked a live one. if he doesn't, you've gotten his hopes up. The answer, as I se it, is to print off the eBay prices for several auctions and take them over with you. Get GOOD pictures and a variety of prices so that his falls in the middle of the quality and therefore the prices. Then offer him a price that seems appropriate, that way he knows that you've done the math and he doesn't feel like he's being bent over. A "win" for both sides.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Yes it included shipping. It really isn't too much for a plane (compared to a case of drawer slides, etc). I agree you have to include shipping though because sometimes the shipping can run more than the winning bid. It could still be a good deal and many times are, but you have to be careful.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

What type (year) is it? A type 1 bailey in good condition will go for a couple a hundert. A 1950's model will go for $30-$50. There are alot of variables for planes. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I just got a Type 9, ca. 1905 and paid over a hundred for it. Mainly because I needed a #7 and this was from a dealer with a great reputation. And, I got what I paid for as all the parts are original, it works flawlessly and I didn't have to screw with it.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I bought a #7 from William Alden just a few years ago for $65.

n Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:31:06 -0800, "Slowhand" > Bailey #7 in very good shape. Japanning in good shape, no rust,

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Okay, here's the stuff that's cast into the plane: On the forward end: BAILEY (all caps)

Behind the frog: MAR 25 - 02 AUG 19 - 02

On the rear end: No. 7

So there it is.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Does it have a frog adjustment screw? That's a nice feature to have for a user plane. Those patent dates are right on the border line of when that feature was introduced; some have 'em, some don't.

Reply to
Steve Turner

On 6 Nov 2003 18:46:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) added:

instructions on how to date Stanley planes. See if it still works. I used it to date my No. 7C to between 1919 and 1923 (IIRC), but that was quite a few years ago.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Definately a type 10. Worth about $90 - $120 in good condition and all the orignal parts are there. Good luck! SH

Reply to
Slowhand