Baffle for dust collector?

Anyone know how to modify the Harbor Freight dust collector to add the baffle that prevents the filter from clogging so quickly? I have the Wynn filter with plastic catch bag. I thought there was a baffle that could be added in the middle of the unit someway to prevent so much dust from being captured in the filter. thanks for any tips
toni towns wrote:

I recycled a fiber drum and put two 4" elbows through the lid with the inside parts facing opposite directions. It fills up about once a week and have to empty the bag on the dust collector every couple of years.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I did the same, with one elbow in the center of the top and the other on the edge, and later modified it by replacing the middle elbow with a straight fitting, at the suggestion of a few folks in the wRECk.. It did improve the performance, which surprised me... I know that the lids that you buy usually have one elbow and one straight, but didn't think it would make any difference.. YMWV
I fill it, (55 gal.), about twice a year... I emptied the bottom bag in October, 2006, when we moved and the DC was disassembled and packed.. Haven't needed to empty it since it was set up in the new shop that month..
NOTE: I have the HF DC and at first, the trash can/separator was mainly to catch things like knots and screws, to keep them from damaging the impeller blade.. The collection of shavings and larger dust particles was just an added plus.. If they still make them like mine, the impeller is the first thing the air/dust/bolts hit when entering the DC.. no screen or anything..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

This is basically what you want to make and put on top of a trash can or other container. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DCLID21.html You don't need to buy one, a couple PVC elbows and you're done. I use this type of setup with an ear blistering shop vac and it works great.
or you could make this http://home.comcast.net/~rodec/woodworking/shop/cyclone/cyclone_details.html