Bad service from ZIRCON - Possibly OT

Folks -
I have a couple of Zircon Stud and Metal sensors....the Videoscanner 5.5 and the Metalliscanner 6.0... I Don't want to be drilling into anything live while I'm hanging a cabinet, now...
Anyway, I've had these two units for a couple of years and have used them each no more than a dozen times.... The power switches apparently went out on both units and now after TWO WEEKS of trying to get a response, they say the units are NOT REPAIRABLE and that I should buy NEW Zircon units. Handy for them!
I haven't gotten a response to my reply - asking why I would spend money on an "upgrade" (their word) when the original product failed under light use and they won't (apparently) provide support after the fact.
The two units totaled over $200 and I would expect that something of that level should be repairable.
So, the question - who out there makes GOOD stud sensors and metal/AC detectors?
Piss on 'em - don't need a sensor for that!
John Moorhead Lakeport CA
A letter, via snail mail, addressed to their CEO may get some action...
Bob S.

and
say
Handy
on
They are located on Dell Avenue in Campbell, California (I used to work across the street from them).
However, how old are the devices (regardless of what you paid for them)?? One of the sad facts of electronic products is that components, even simple ones such as switches DO get discontinued and sometimes (due to changes in technology, like today's products using almost exclusively surface mounted components) there is no suitable replacement. If you are at all handy, open up the products and read the manufacturer's name and number off the switches in question...then contact the switch manufacturer, companies the specialize in selling repair parts (Jameco, etc), and surplus dealers (Weird Stuff, HSC, etc.) until you find the switch or a suitable replacement (if one exists). Good luck.

live
them
out
use
that
I have given up on Zircon's products. all of the ones I have had have failed way too soon, and for some reason their 2oz of plastic remain unreasonably expensive long after they have recouped their r&d costs. fuck 'em.     Bridger
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:53:16 GMT, "john moorhead"

I've given up on zircon too... there studsensors suck...
I'll take my chances using my knuckle method..

and
say
Handy
on

Geez, I must be a lucky one! I have a Zircon stud sensor that is over 15 years old, all beat to hell, dirty, covered in paint, etc. It still works like a champ! Greg
Greg O wrote:

Maybe that's the secret -- buy only old Zircon products. <g>
-- Mark
I never could use a stud sensor of any kind... They always kept going off before I got them on the wall.... <grin>

and
say
Handy
on