Bad idea?

The latest in my continuing series of Very Basic Questions. "What Is Wood?" should be coming along soon.

I put a first coat of finish on my (second pair of) face frames last night; MinWax Satin Poly, cut about 40% with mineral spirits. I put four coats of the same on the first two face frames and I like the results.

Up to now I've been cutting off another piece of tee-shirt for each coat, hanging the used cloth over the edge of a flower pot in the yard until it's safe to discard. The shirt is almost used up so on a whim I put the piece I was using in the (3/4 full) can of poly and put the top on. Any reason I can't use that piece of cloth again tonight? Was this a bad idea in some other way, like that the can of finish is now ruined? Should I perhaps have stored the cloth in a ziploc bag instead?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

The only reason yu would not want to do that is if the rag became stiff and therefore would not apply even pressure when spreading the varnish.

If you dont mind dealing with the additional mess that this might bring there should be no reason that it would not work.

A ziploc bag would prevent further absorption of the product but might not work as well as being totally saturated in the product.

Reply to
Leon

What Leon said. Plus, if you use the Ziploc, squeeze as much air out as possible before sealing. What I do is squeeze as much poly out of the cloth as I can and then pull the disposable glove off my hand while holding the cloth inside. Squeeze out the air and tie a knot in the cuff. The cloth has remained perfectly usable for 48hrs (I haven't tried longer) in 60-70F temps. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Or store the rag, in whatever separate container, after drenching the rag in mineral spirits and it remain fully wet.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny