Backyard Decked, Platform

Page 2 of 3
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:15:55 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Finally we see the job supervisor! Good to see she is on the job!
Looks great, Karl. Like the planters, they add a nice "decorative" touch to the project.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

with Cabot falling to the anti VOC crowd, what is yours and Karls go to sealer these days?
Dead around here the last couple of days ...
Not much woodworking to share yet, do have a couple of cabinet jobs in progress.
Enjoyed having the time to install outdoor electrical (NOT), and low voltage lighting the past few days (and also wanted to test Google Photo's "Collections"):
https://goo.gl/photos/fwnyXTCcPqe7xg7D7
(NOTE: becaise this is Google Photos, and not PicasWeb photos, so you apparently have to chose the "i" for INFO to get captions/descriptions for an individual photo)
Found low voltage lighting installation, except for waiting for dark, to be instant gratification.
Picked up a 300w, multi tap transformer, some 14awg low voltage cable, and LED lights from Lowe's, and in just a few hours had cable laid and lights connected.
Had enough fun to get a bit carried away in the process, but still subtracting here and there and moving around, so will wait to cover up the cable on the back two sides:
https://goo.gl/photos/fwnyXTCcPqe7xg7D7
Linda wants to experiment with some colored lens gels ... will probably be glad I'm colorblind.
In any event, the weather has been perfect for coffee and breakfast in the morning on the contraption, and a swing and drink in the evening, AND, best of all, no more mud and bare dirt, and no interruptions.
Although I enjoy our front porch and balcony, it is nice to have a bit of privacy and relief from the "what would you do about this?" when folks see the only local neighbor who actually owns a hammer sitting out in full view of a evening.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/18/2016 11:56 AM, Swingman wrote:

Looks good! No I need to work up the appetite to do the same, sorta.
Was there suppose to be a second link? Both point to the same.
On 2/18/2016 12:28 PM, Leon wrote:

Shop dummy was on duty this AM ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Nice. And well done.
I'm in the process of doing a deck in front of our Wood Yard Barn. We use it for storage and for yard tools and such. My shop is in another building.
The design I'm using 4x4's in the outside ring and across the center in one direction only. The squares are now 5'x5' with 2x6 slats.
Two of them side by side. Front side and back side tied with 2x6 cut down to be 2x4 or whatever the dimension I need since the 2x6 is on top of the 4x4 it makes 2x6 close. To be measured once built.
All of the wood is custom cut from logs I had on the property. Mostly Red Oak and some White Oak. Heavy stuff. I have 12 and 16 foot long 4x4's and they are a handful. Glad I have a tractor with forklifts.
The base material that they will sit upon is 6" of crushed granite. It is about 1/4" a 'grain' so water will flow down and through it easily.
I'll take pictures and consider putting them up as well. Should be pretty. I think one of mine might have been curly oak. I home to have that grain exposed on something.
Planning on a 4 x 12' arched bridge. That design is going to be interesting. I'm getting some bandsaw blades for that project!
Martin
On 2/18/2016 11:56 AM, Swingman wrote:

On 2/18/2016 9:05 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Thanks. Sounds like an interesting project especially with the wood you're using.
Do post links to photos if you can.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
I'll try. Got the first square of 4x4's cut out. Used 3 4x4x12' to make the 4 frame members. Screw it together this weekend.
There were splits and some were to much to trust. So they are firewood and good chunks are for the wood shop for turning or making something.
2ea 5' and 2ea 5'subtract width of 2 '4x4s' Which turned out to be 3.25" on those two. The idea is to have a 5x5 square. (was 7x7 in old plan).
A 10' 4x4 is close to 100 pounds or more. I can lift 5' but 10 is heavy for something that long. The Oak is aging but came from very large logs. Glad to use it as lumber than burn it in a pile or compost...
The whole assembly will be washed or sprayed with bleach to kill nastiness that might be eating on the wood or dissolving it on the fly. After that, the plan is to paint it with a quality paint that matches the barn and the house. A dark red as a base material. I have 4 gallons of bleach for the cleaning. I'll let them dry for a while once built but they will continue while painted.
Martin
On 2/19/2016 9:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

Got the 4x4's screwed together. I used the long strong hex head screws that are used to tie log homes together. 6 used per square - due to the crossbar that supports the top (tread boards).
Using what I have, it took 3 12' 4x4's to make 4 sides. Lots of fire wood. Should have been 2. Yield...
The log screws drove easily through the oak and held tightly. (good feeling) I bought them at Home Depot in the deck screw section. I'll put those in the pictures as well.
Pending rain, the work might stop for a while.
I build it on the veranda of the addition. Drip rain and sun doesn't gets there. And electric power is plenty. My shop isn't set up for this size of wood. I wonder if I am!
Cut a 2x6 which is non-standard sizing due to the on-site cut. Was cut and deck screws refused to drive through and into the 4x4 under them. Drill holes had to be used, as well as the 4" deck screws were re-boxed and 3" were the winner. As it turns out, 3" was the size I was to use. That is why I had a large box of them. Even still, drilling holes just adds to the job. I have to get another drill for the drilling. My 3/8 HP hammer drill is driving screws.
The square (first one) is heavy. I'll use the tractor with forks and hope I can stabilize it on.
I'm glad my cutoff saw, not a slider, cuts the 2/6 and 4x4's thus far. Since the 12' 4x4 are over my strength (at this time) I'm using my chainsaw to cut off sections that I trim down both ends... Half length are easy enough to tote. The 12' 2x6 is easy enough to tote.
As I work down the stack of lumber - I hope the size stays close enough. Three 4x4x12' will be wood turning or firewood. Wood decay has taken a corner off all of them. Lost a lot of wood to that.
Pictures start taking tomorrow. I'll have to determine what site to post them on. And how many.
Martin
Martin Eastburn wrote:

holding up well. Will put pictures on ABPW.
--
GW Ross

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Looks VERY nice, well done.
I am surprised at how easy it is to view the info, the sharpness of the photo's all of them, and the night shot when zoomed in was very clear and sharp. Could even see the light coming through the back of the swing set.
May you have many years of enjoyment and relaxation there.
On 2/19/2016 12:53 AM, OFWW wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. Google has always been pretty good at making photos look good at monitor resolution despite their practice of reducing the original photo resolution for storage purposes.
Also, pretty hard to fault cell phone cameras these days, particularly the iPhone 6's camera. Paid more, in 1963 dollars, for my first SLR and now my phone takes better and more cost effective photos.

Certainly not fine woodworking, but the satisfaction of eating your own dogfood always runs just as deep. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

at a small insurance agency. When I moved into the office, I built a couple cabinets and brought a toolbox with some basic tools in it. I helped assemble some furniture, etc. I suddenly became Mr. fixit for the entire office complex. A guy who builds things, assembles things, fixes things and actually owns TOOLS!!
You would have thought I was an old dinosaur who had been resurrected or something. Then I had to track down all the tools that were "borrowed". Because nobody wanted to return them. I quickly installed a locking tool cabinet. I started a formal tool checkout procedure. And started charging "professional" rates for anybody outside of my own office. Apparently I was some kind of throwback, an anachronism. When I grew up, everybody had tools and fixed or built things. Not so much any more.
On 2/19/2016 8:41 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Common thread in this upscale, full of young professionals, enclave I live in.
Just yesterday a young lady (Doctor) stopped by to see Linda about signing up her kids for music lessons.
As she walked through she was was apparently bowled over by the fact that someone's husband could actually be capable of making a house full of handmade furniture and cabinetry.
Linda brought her out to the shop to meet me, whereupon she proceeded to rain scorn upon her husband's lack of any ability to do anything that required self reliance, literally doing a damned good job of calling him a doofus.
Makes you wonder ... (except to appreciate why my youngest is not impressed with the current pool of potential husband material).
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/19/2016 10:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

;~) These women talking about their husbands and how they don't know what to do with a screw driver..... You gotta wonder what our wives say about us!!! You know me, with my short thumb, you with your color issues. ;~)
Day before yesterday my, two houses down, neighbor came up while I was in my shop. She is the one from Canada. Oddly she cannot light a fireplace but will shoot up an extension ladder before you can hide your eyes while stabilizing the bottom, bottom of the ladder that is.
She laid out the forms and arranged for a concrete patio in her back yard and is learning to do her own yard work.
Anyway she came to borrow my electric hedge trimmer that I had offered to lend her. We walked into the store room and she spied my long handle bypass loppers. She reached out and caressed them. Ohhhh these work so well, I just bought a pair the other day...
Too early to show her my Festool tools? LOL

all potential suitors with dear old dad! It is difficult to find your way through a world with ever declining standards.
Hopefully she will eventually finds somebody who measures up.
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:27:45 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

change her own tires - and even how to change her own oil (which she dir excatly ONCE!!! She found most of her male friends were intimidated by her. She ended up finding a heavy duty truck mechanic she didn't intimidate and they've been together for a few years now.
On 02/19/2016 07:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

It's funny how society demands that women be deemed equal to men but it's still a man's job to take out the garbage and fix things. LOL.
I always wonder about folk that run down their spouses. Makes you wonder why they married them if they such ditzes. My wife has her strengths and weaknesses just like all of us but in public I have nothing praise for her. Well, pretty much in private too. We'll be hitting 29 years this May so it must be a working strategy!
I'd have probably have asked this highly educated and intelligent women if she's ever made anything. Why is it just the husband that is incompetent? I've seen plenty of women that are quite skilled with tools. They're outnumbered by guys, no doubt, but if she can't do it why is it a demerit for her husband to not be able? I expect she'd probably think I'm a jerk for saying so. LOL.
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

There's good reason for that, with the fixing things:
Charlie was installing a new door and found that one of the hinges was missing.
He asked his wife Mary if she would go to the hardware store and pick up a hinge. Mary agreed to go. While she was waiting for the manager to finish serving a customer, her eye caught a beautiful bathroom faucet.
When the manager was finished, Mary asked him, ?How much is that faucet??
The manager replied, ?That?s a gold plated faucet and the price is $500.00.?
Mary exclaimed, ?My goodness, that is a very expensive faucet. It?s certainly out of my price bracket.?
She then proceeded to describe the hinge that Charlie had sent her to buy. The manager said that he had them in stock and went into the storeroom to get one.
From the storeroom the manager yelled.
?Ma?am, do you wanna screw for the hinge??
Mary paused for a moment and then shouted back, ?No, but I will for the faucet.?

Yeah... that kind of thing just doesn't seem to be on women's minds. After all, I can polish their brass and clean their clock and yet there's few takers... That's ok, though... I wouldn't want to marry someone who was only interested in my polishing and cleaning skills.
Puckdropper
On 02/19/2016 12:38 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Ah - it all becomes clear... :-)
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller