Backyard Decked, Platform

Page 1 of 3
Twas high time for some recreational woodworking.
Decided to take a much needed break from furniture and cabinet making during the holidays, and wanted it cheap as possible, so what did I do (besides cook, that is)?
My backyard has been neglected, the grass has died due to the excess shade, in short a muddy mess. Ain't done with it yet, but it's finally starting to take shape and justify the resultant aches and pains.
You'd think an old man would find something less taxing on his time off:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/BackyardDeckedPlatform2015?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3Z9L2S7d_CJg
Next step is to take up all the flagstone, put down a membrane, put in crushed/decomposed granite for the surrounding area, then reinstall the flagstone and pavers .... and buy a new yard swing.
DISCLAIMER: This was built with the possibility of it being taken apart and hauled up to our lake house when I finally decide to learn how to relax. So, before the kibbitzers start getting sassy, this is most definitely NOT how YOU should make a _permanent_ , ground level, platform unless you are well aware of both the climate and soil conditions.
All in all, nice eating your own dog food on occasion. I did enjoy using Kregg's Deck Jig for hidden fasteners on the ChoiceDek, although it would be more comfortable for us elderly to use it at waist height ... IOW, was damned glad to see that last board go on. Ouch!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Well you could have built it higher for that waist height ease of construction. :) LOL
Is a heater or fire pit next?
Looking mighty good!
On 1/5/2016 5:27 PM, OFWW wrote:

Thanks!
LOL ... no fire pit, at least while it's here in Texas.
We do have one at the lake house in Arkansas, where the weather makes more sense for a fire pit. I was envisioning that possibility for the structure's future.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Looks great, you could do a hot tub for that ouch.
Swingman wrote:

Looks great! I liked the visuals also.
--
GW Ross

Fellow of The Off-Center For the
On 01/05/2016 01:21 PM, Swingman wrote:

snip
Nice. The frame material didn't look like it was PT though - might have just been the photo or maybe a different flavor of treated wood than we have up here. Any worries about rot?
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
On 1/7/2016 12:41 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

LOL As a home builder/GC, I wouldn't fall into that trap unless suffering from a severe brain fart, which becomes more and more possible with each passing year, so your concern is justified. :)
Probably just the photo or difference in monitors, as it is indeed #2SYP pressure treated (CA) lumber, AWPA approved for ground contact and water immersion.
It will undoubtedly eventually rot, but I should be long gone by then. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 4:21:12 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Probably at least 90% of my woodworking is recreational. With this in min d....

Pfft! I have an immediate objection to....

It's a sin not to build your own. Building one yourself would fit my defin ition of recreation. You better go to confession. But I'm thinking porch type swing, not deck/yard swing.
I've been away from home most of 2 months.... helping take care of Mom 24/7 . Lately, when the little time permits (at Mom's, few/hand tools), I've be en working on a porch swing for the camp, so your swing comment caught my e ye. Until now, with few exceptions, I haven't had internet access to post or comment, but I have kept up reading posts via the phone.
Not to highjack your thread, but it's nice to post/participate, again, on s omething I can (somewhat) relate to. Your deck looks inviting. Good job . I could benefit from a few days of the kind of R&R it offers.... with s ome eggnog and boudin, as well. Sooo, it should be finished for Mardi Gras festivities (Feb 9th), right?
Sonny
On 1/8/2016 6:22 AM, Sonny wrote:

I've built a few down through the years, but I don't want a wooden swing for both size and aesthetics. I was looking for a smaller, metal yet three person yard swing with a canopy like the one we have at the lake house in AR:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff?noredirect=1#5762440325868380146
Problem is that one is almost ten years old, is no longer available anywhere, and consumer goods have cheapened so much in the last ten years that the new ones, even the expensive ones, are nothing but cheap Chinese crap.

Mais cher, as always, you are most welcome here anytime. You should still have my email and phone contact if you're ever coming through. Always have a place to stay in Houston.
You just missed a helluva get together with Leon and Nailshooter and the ladies, with gumbo, dirty rice, and good whisky; plus Robert/Nailshooter and Kathy brought some of the best damn homemade breakfast sausage we've ever eaten.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

Maybe it's time to learn to weld?

On 1/9/2016 4:28 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

A bit rusty, but I do weld. AAMOF, I'd already put in the call to my Dad to see if I can borrow his trailer mounted Lincoln.
Problem with that is he's 92, no telling when the last time he's maintained it, and he will gladly say "yes" because he knows damned good and well he raised me not to bring something borrowed back unless I made sure it was put back in like new condition
... be cheaper to hire a welder. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/9/2016 11:06 AM, Swingman wrote:

Don't borrow it, build it there. :~)
Moved the swing back about 3', now much less overpowering.
For now, the only left to do with the swing is to put a drink platform between the A-frame uprights that matches the bench wood.
Also got the decomposed granite laid down. No más barro ...
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/BackyardDeckedPlatform2015?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3Z9L2S7d_CJg#6244138383283993458
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/BackyardDeckedPlatform2015?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3Z9L2S7d_CJg#6244138421724346594
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

Looks Good!
I sunk my step stones so that only 1/2 inch is exposed. Less of a tripping hazard at my age.
--
GW Ross

Death to all fanatics!
On 1/26/2016 11:35 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Thanks!
You're right. AAMOF, I did sink the pavers, between the bottom of the step and platform, for the very reason you suggest.
Since I put down a lot more decomposed granite than normal (almost 4"), I left the stepping stones up to encourage walking on them, as they will settle a bit with traffic ... especially with lard ass walking on them. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

That's looking might good all around now. I love the porch.
You could put chairs on the deck and your group on the porch and have an afternoon/ evening gig like in Europe. ala https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jason+mraz+backyard+concert&&view tail&mid8ECD1AE6D4926041B71E8ECD1AE6D4926041B7&FORM=VRDGAR
Or Weddings, or, or. :)
On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 3:07:55 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:

SuperBowl party... Mardi Gras party... Valentines party.... Party party....
Yeahee!!
Sonny
On 1/26/2016 11:12 AM, Swingman wrote:

Looks GREAT! You will probably have to maybe hit the granite with Roundup every once in a while. I put down the same thing, stones and decomposed granite, in Bryan's back yard when we still lived there. Weeds still like to get in there and grow.
Are those pavers the kind that are designed to fit like a jig saw puzzle if you wanted?
Again, a big improvement.....

So is that a Festool ball in the middle of the deck?
On 1/27/2016 6:47 AM, Markem wrote:

ShihPoo ball (Shiatsu/Poodle) ball ... heavy on the poo.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/BackyardDeckedPlatform2015?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3Z9L2S7d_CJg#6235830419134318770