Backing board for a bulletin board?

I'm trying to create a cork bulletin board for my cube, but having trouble with ideas for the solid backing for the cork. My first attempt was to have two layers of 3/16" cork over hardboard. The thumbtacks don't stick into the hardboard. I went around the BigBox today and couldn't find any materials that would accept a thumbtack.
Anyone got ideas? I'm not married to cork as a material.

3/16" thick cork is for appearances. You need cork at least as thick as your fastener is long.

Drywall with cork over top.

I think you can lay some cork over rigid foam insulation (also know as insulated sheeting). It is usually really thick but they have thinner versions too. I think it comes stand alone (just foam) and bonded to ply. Just look for some thinner stuff because the typical is at least an inch thick but it comes thinner.
That's easy. Pickup homosote.
On 1/31/2011 6:05 PM, Scott Zrubek wrote:

On Jan 31, 7:09pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Ditto that. They sell Homasote with cork already attached. It's the bulletin board standard. http://www.homasote.com/products/NovaCork.aspx
That's easy. Pickup homosote.
On 1/31/2011 6:05 PM, Scott Zrubek wrote:

tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Aha! Thanks!

Now to find someone who carries it in town.
They make a couple of nice, specific products: Nova Cork and a Burlap board. Both of which run about $150/sheet. If they have to special order one board from Dallas, shipping is about $170.
I hope someone in town carries it, or I'll just try plain old homasote.

If you already have the cork and you want to go cheap and easy - rigid insulation. The cork is doing the work and holding the thumbtacks. The rigid is just something to keep it flat.
If you don't have the cork it would be cheaper and easier just to buy a bulletin board. A 3' x 2' board framed in wood or aluminum can be had for $20. Last week I bought a 2' x 4' roll of 4 mm cork and it was $16 with tax.
I don't know what size you're after. Ceiling tile with a fabric cover works quite well and costs nothing to $4 depending on your resources.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:10:00 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I've also used suspended ceiling tiles that I've had laying around.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I have always used Celotex and covered it with cloth. Does the job. WW
Scott Zrubek wrote:

In australia we have something called Caneite, google it and see if you have similar.
"Scott Zrubek" wrote:

Throw a picture frame around a piece of homasote board.
I had one for years.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@itmm.com says...

Cork floor tiles. Stick 'em to whatever. They're thick enough that a tack will go full length into the cork without hitting the substrate. Should be 3-4 bucks a pop if you can find them.
Scott Zrubek wrote:

1. homosote
2. foam core (art store or framer, various thicknesses)
--

dadiOH