Back to the cherry swing...

I picked up a load of 'free' cherry today and found out why it's free - rot, splits of 4'... you name it. That's not the issue. While thinking on the whole situation a totally unrelated thought came to mind (yea, so why did I mention the previous stuff!)... 'Why not add a very thin strip or two of a light colored wood in the seat straps'. So, the question is, is there something preferable to maple in this app (no stain and top coat TBD) or doesn't it really matter, besides a good waterproof glue? I;m still intrigued by Robatoy's suggestion of Penetrol as the topcoat!

Reply to
C & M

... all it is, is triple distilled boiled linseed oil of some sort. No magic. The beauty is that it really soaks in...like a kerosene-style, ultra-light oil. It may require a few coats. I have never tried sanding in between, I suppose one could. It will soak into maple.... not much else does.

Danger! Rags, steel wool or waste soaked with this product may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately after use, place rags, steel wool or waste in a sealed, water-filled metal container. BTDT

When spraying, use a good mask... The stuff brushes on real nice, that is why it is sold as an additive. Get a quart. Play with it. Try a few pieces before you slap it on your project.

One of my previous employees built two Adirondaks out of cedar. He poly'd his, I Penetrolled the chair he gave me. Nothing to talk about. After 5 years outside, mine looks a bit weathered, but in a nice way, still rich. His looks silvery and slivery. with some end-grain damage.

I built a white-oak out-door plant rack sun-filter over my parents' rear deck...it still looked great after 10+ years. Then I re-applied a coat of Penetrol, and it jumped right back to it's original colour and sheen. (Some guys slap it on weathered fibreglass boats and it snaps right back. Weird stuff.. but fun and useful.)

YMMV

PS.. Penetrol protects metals really nice too.

YMMV

Reply to
Robatoy

Many thanks for the clarification on the Penetrol!!

Reply to
C & M