Back bevel on planer knives

I had been watching "wood works" with David Marks on DIY when it was still on He mentioned during a shop tour show he had a back bevel put on his planer and joiner knives to reduce tear-out. I would like to know for one does this help with tear-out in figured woods and what is the angle I should try to put on the back bevel?

Thanks.

Reply to
tfk3160