Back again...

Page 2 of 3

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:09:01 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

Well, unless my wife has had a fit of housecleaning that I don't know about, I've still got some Fortran programs on punched cards somewhere. At least they've been through an interpreter, so I know they can be read manually if nothing else :-).

Yeah, that's my theory too. But, it's very low density, maybe 150 baud or so. Might be able to bring it back with an EQ. It'd be interesting to see what I was writing 25 years ago. Probably cringe-worthy.

We tossed a bunch of tapes when I was at GE, in 1998. Two years later, I got to do the "Guys, I hate to say this, but I really did tell you so" thing when we needed those tapes for some Y2K crap. Ended up retiring some ancient systems, though.
Our "Software Shaman" (his real title) got a refresher in what that little yellow ring on the back of the 9-track tapes is for, and why you should be really sure before mounting a unique tape that it's read-only when you do it. We had to get a customer to send us back a copy of that one. Not so good. I could probably still make him cringe, today, by showing him the write-enable ring.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I fixed the problem of the write ring being left in by filling in the slot with glue. You couldn't get that write ring in there to save your soul.     spaz,     jo4hn

Beat me to it.
I remember having to buy a second floppy drive and getting it installed in an early IBM personal computer. The second floppy was an upgrade from the cassette recorder. This was done at the same time I "upgraded" my memory 128 K to a robust 256 K RAM.
I was the envy of many because I could have separate application and data floppies.
And I paid some outrageous amount of money for this electronic horsepower too.
I am certain that this qualifies me for some kinda fossil designation.
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:29:32 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Yep. Paid close to $900 for the 20 Meg hard drive for my TI PC. Was thrilled because only a few weeks before, that had been the price for a 10 Meg drive.
Don't think one could even find an OS that would fit on that small a drive anymore.
On 12/6/2005 9:47 PM Mark & Juanita mumbled something about the following:

Bet I can. PicoBSD will run from a single 1.2 MB floppy with full firewall and routing capabilities.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:57:59 -0600, Swingman wrote:

The first "hard drive" I remember was on a GE425. It was a single 2' (about) diameter platter mounted vertically with a single slow-moving head. I wrote a DOS-style O/S for it around '65 or '66.
But even now, I don't need a terabyte. I've got 2 8GB drives. One has both W95 and Linux on it, and the other is a backup for it. Of course, I don't fill my disk with music and movies :-).
"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

third
Apparently only if you couldn't spell "sysadmin" in say, 1998. ;)
The technical expertise should not be "huge" to any decently trained technical staff. That is not to deny that the equipment/bandwidth requirements may indeed be scalable to encompass "huge", however that is quantified.

What's "huge" to an SBC, or MCI, et al? These are the corporate deep pockets, who bought out all the smaller ISP's, who actually ran nntp servers (with full binaries) on smaller pipes, with fewer hardware resources, with fewer problems by far, and who could do it without having to read "help desk" style prompt sheets when called upon to answer a basic question ... god forbid the latter in this day and age.
Nope ... I'll stick by my original contention: the technical expertise seems beyond most ISP's these days.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

I got the telephonic equivalent of a blank stare when I asked my local ISP about their limit of 1 nntp connection. Really, 1 connection.... even with DSL, that makes usenet unusable until *every*thing has loaded.
I switched to Teranews' free service, which worked great until they changed whatever they changed a couple of months ago. Something about their article numbering... I don't know. It doesn't work with Thoth, nor with any of the NewsWatcher derivatives so far as I can tell. Ten million new articles, mark 'em read, and get nine million more, but only two articles current and readable.
Scratch Teranews.
So now, my telco bought my ISP, and their nntp seems decent. I haven't bothered checking who provides it, but I doubt they do it themselves (since they totally hosed the changeover, to the point that I had no DSL for 10 days, and only had dialup for a day and a half until everything got fixed).
A two-connection limit, but I can live with that.
Kevin

... snip

Teranews seems to have almost a gift for being able to shoot themselves in the foot -- continuously.
Brian Elfert wrote:

Many ISP's now consider Usenet to be a secondary service. Typically, only a very small percentage of users even know what news is, much less how to access it directly.
There's another whole bunch that access news via websites that claim to host "forums", only to display newsgroups via a web page.

I pay news.individual.net 10 euro a year (13 bucks or so) for a stable, fast, reliable newsfeed. No binaries, but they filter out the spam and it always works.
Dave Hinz
Im in the uk here try using news.btinternet.com free me thinks and does not matter who your isp is i also use opera for the news reader excellent mac or pc
connor

--
http://www.connoraston.com

Yep, Direcway just plain dropped newsgroups a couple of years ago because "nobody used them" according to an on-line survey they did. [Funny, I never received any information about any such survey :-( ]
Tried Teranews for a while -- it was a disaster, they were down more than up, I couldn't see most of the binaries in abpw for some reason, some articles never posted, and some responses were never seen: and that was for the paid server.
Moved to Supernews a little over a year ago -- thus far, it has been almost completely trouble-free. They are a little overzealous in some of their policies, for example, if one posts a URL that contains certain words indicating it might be a for sale site, Supernews will reject the posting indicating that rec.ww is not a commercial newsgroup. At a high level, that kind of policy is OK, but there are times when sharing information about various things that are available makes such a URL information, not commercial sales. Other than that, Supernews is really good, you'll like it.
jo4hn wrote:

<snip>
When it comes to puters, I'm on the stupid end of the scale; however, I'm also in SoCal, use Earthlink, and have no problems getting NewsGroup postings.
What am I missing?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Maybe I can 'splain a bit further. I signed up with Earthlink dial-up in 1997 when there was no inexpensive high speed link. I never bothered to change to something else until I moved to the mountains in 2003. There was a local cable company (bought out by Charter) that offered some high speed connectivity. So they became my physical carrier with EL atop. EL later decided that I should be using their high speed offerings rather than Charter so they blew off my news group support. The catch22 was that they didn't offer any high speed connectivity out here in the sticks. Thus I dropped EL and went to charter for a bit until they decided they didn't want to support news groups either. In each case, I'm sure it was an actuarial decision. It still sucks.     grumble,     jo4hn

Yup... I think that's universal for sympatico customers. I often check an archival website for any pics I may have missed. http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw / I'm not sure how that is updated, but it certainly has more coverage that Sympatico.
A HandyMan with patches, eh? What ARE you doing to our reputation as a nation? *G*
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:57:07 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I'm with Intergate and they sublet the news to Supernews. Works pretty well. There are a few lowcost news servers around, but most of the free ones have gone away.
Have you tried using google groups to join rec.woodworking?
rickluce said:

I'm not the OP, but the problem with Google is that it's just not the same. I download messages and respond as I have time - off-line, as it were.
They also don't support binaries of any kind. So alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking is out of the question.
Doesn't satisfy my Usenet needs, anyway...
FWIW,
Greg G.