Baby crib

Hi All:
I've gotten some great advice and info on this newsgroup. So here goes another query. I'd like to build a crib for a baby expected in the middle of July. Nothing fancy; not large -- just something the kid can be deposited in when, say, mom and dad are relaxing in the living room.
From the perspective of safety, my questions are: (1) can I use el cheapo pine? and (2) what kind of finish would be baby-safe and nontoxic?
As always, TIA.
Irwin
On 09 Jun 2004 20:40:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Irwin Schwartz) wrote:

I've got a commercial one that we were given. It's been through my three sons now, and it shows some wear on the rails, where it's been, umm, gnawed, or something. It's hardwood, and I think it would have disintegrated by now if it were pine. Sooo, consider using hardwood for at least the rails.
...either that or put a hockey mask on Junior.
Jamie
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Irwin Schwartz) wrote:

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaa! Must be your first!
On the materials angle - I'd recommend a hardwood like cherry, maple, ash or oak. Better able to withstand the wear and tear plus may be less splintery.
Please read up on the safety measures you must design into it.

As the others suggested I would definately opt against pine. I made mine out of rock maple and I'm sure glad I did. I couldn't believe it - she was kicking it so hard that it would disengage the locking mechanism - I ended up modifying it so it was a little more difficult. Shellac is non-toxic.
--
Rich
www.construction-resource.com