Aztec wood drum

I was just checking the woodworking channel, when i happened to see a glimpse of an Aztec wood drum, but i missed most of the program. Would any of you know what sort of wood to use for it, and dimensions. Or perhaps a website with plans for it.
Anders

The show should come back around again.
Brent Beal wrote:

Woodworking channel? What woodworking channel?
Deb
http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com /

Iznogood wrote:

I think you're talking about what in my experience is usually called a "tongue drum". Something like this? http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/earthrhythms1_1905_1347348 http://images.google.com/images?num &hs=QXG&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=tongue%20drum
If so, then googling on "tongue drum plans" with or without the quotes should get you a lot of choices.
Iznogood wrote:

See ABPW
Glen
Iznogood wrote:

Fine Woodworking ran a plan years ago, and it's reprinted in one of their reprint books. Searching this newsgroup (try "tongue drum" too) will find an old post of mine, probably some others too, that describes which issue it was and gives enough construction details to make one.
They make great gifts. They're easy to make, they look good at first, and you don't have to listed to the damned thing afterwards!

Does anyone have any good info on how to produce specific notes (or at least a relative tuning)?
Ken Muldrew wrote:

Try http://www.woodworking-online.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t 294 I seem to remember an article mentioning sanding or carving away the back of each finger to adjust the sound also. Joe