Aviation Snips - Required tools for parents

So the jack-knife is no longer sufficient for opening Christmas gifts. Actually, it probably hasn't been for quite a while, but it has just become apparent to me. The Nintendo Wii played a large part in Christmas this year, and I've gotta tell you - the packaging that those things come in is downright dangerous. Not necessarily the Wii itself, but the accessories - battery chargers, additional remotes, "Nunchucks", etc... I'd rather freehand on a table saw than open one of those things! After a couple of near-misses I grabbed the snips from the shop and had no trouble at all. Scissors don't cut it; you need the mechanical advantage of compound action - the plastic is that tough.

That said, the Wii is one heck of a fun time.

JP

********************* Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!
Reply to
Jay Pique

Those blister packs ARE dangerous! I use the pair of electric B&D snippers I have, a great item for those with any kind of arthritis.

Reply to
asmurff

Sounds like a great use for a Multimaster!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

My SWMBTS (She Who Must Be Taken Seriously, but I prefer Angela) gets all kinds of data. Most not relevant to her clinic (strokes), but interesting nonetheless. The so-called theft prevention blister packs are usually way up there when it comes to household injuries. WAY up there. The sharp/jagged plastic itself most often the cause the wounds. Another one that I see often near the top of the list are the very serious injuries people sustain when the are trying to separate frozen products, mostly hamburger patties. Frozen items slippery. Finger numbed by cold, add heavy kitchen knives, a slip off the cutting board, bingo.. deep (often to the bone) cuts. Fingers in car doors are quite common. Common burns are usually well represented.

In other news, blown blood vessels in the brain are most often caused by innocent people making an attempt at understanding the reason why rap exists.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, those blister packs are just plain dangerous. Office stores now sell a tool to help open them.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I use EMT shears on that stuff, it's too tough and unpredictable to cut safely with a knife unless you're also wearing meat-cutter gloves.

Reply to
DGDevin

Learned that one long ago. Get ground beef, make patties, wrap each separately. Forget the prepackaged patties unless you're going to use them right away.

Never will forget the first time my mother encountered a frozen bagel. She was going to show me how it's done, thinking they could be fork-split like an English Muffin. I just realized--_that_'s what you you us a 9 inch 80 buck mostly plastic bandsaw for. Hmm, when I finally get around to redoing the kitchen I'm going to have to make sure to make room for one for that purpose and make a bagel carrier to match.

Had a cousin who came to visit regularly, every damned time the first thing she did was cut herself a piece of chees and need to go to the emergency room to get sewn up. Finally started putting sliced cheese out before she arrived and locking up everything with an edge.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Robatoy wrote in news:22a51602-5df2-4aed-af80- snipped-for-privacy@e50g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I'm sure I don't quite follow. How is rap involved?

Fully 30% of ischemic strokes (thrombotic, not hemorrhagic = bleeding) have no cause that can be clinically or diagnostically ascertained. I'm involved in research as to how platelets may be involved in these "cryptogenic" strokes, but so far there is no clear lead as to causes (it's still cryptogenic, meaning s#$t, we have no clue). Since stroke is one of the leading causes of death and suffering (mortality and morbidity), it is important we get a clue, but we spend too much time writing grants rather than doing research!!

Reply to
Han

Our Health and Safety program at work is very rigorous. Our field technicians are not allowed to use open-blade knives (belt knives, pocket knives, box knives, &tc.) at all. They use kiddie-scissors to cut plastic tubing, plastic sheeting, &tc.

Needless to say, the jobs take longer, but our safety record is very good.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

"J. Clarke" wrote in news:fle9ki023f8 @news3.newsguy.com:

Wet under cold water (takes 1.33 seconds at most). Heat in microwave 40 seconds (for NYC Ess-A-Bagel bagels, others take less time). Slice hot bagel with serrated bread knife. Examine fingers for burns. Toast bagel until done to perfection (personal preference). Seems rather risk free to me.

Reply to
Han

I bought a bunch of these to give out for Christmas presents. They work very well.

$10 at Home Depot.

Reply to
Leon

black powder. or napalm. bad words help. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

In other news---> an attempt at humour.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:22a51602-5df2-4aed-af80- snipped-for-privacy@e50g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

Rap exists because too many people refuse to learn about melody and harmony and just want rhythm. See also: pop music.

I guess I'm not innocent, at least I've got some sk1llz as a musician.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Jay Pique wrote in news:2e851d6a-0598-4fce-a2f5- snipped-for-privacy@z11g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Funny, I didn't have any trouble getting my Wii out of the package. Most of it was just twist ties.

I don't even bother trying to open the plastic packaging nicely. I just simply start cutting along the edges with my knife, get a finger or three in, and pull.

Watch out for the next common Wii injury: Tennis elbow! Enjoy. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

This is the tool that I use. Works pretty well. Can't remember where I bought it, but I DAGS and found this site pretty quick (I have no connection to the company whatsoever)

Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Have you seen "Mars Attacks"? If not then watch it and you'll have the idea.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A little det cord laid around the edges properly tamped will take the edges right off

Reply to
asmurff

Let me guess: All her knives were dull, so she wasn't in the habit of treating knife edges as dangerous, and was in the habit of applying too much pressure to get them to cut. Your knives were sharp. Right?

Still, cheese isn't exactly difficult to cut.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

I have a set of heavy shears sold by Olfa that I use to open blister packs that have been welded shut. They're sharp enough and heavy enough to cut the plastic effectively (and they'll also cut thin metal like shim stock). I suppose the compound aviation snips would work too, but I've never needed the mechanical advantage, and they're slower.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale