Automatically controled dust collector

Anyone know of plans on the web to build one of those devices to turn on your collector when a machine is turned on?

Thanks.

Reply to
FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl

Simple enough if you are comfortable working with electricity. Wire relays to trip as each motor is started then use those relay contacts to trip a starter that controls your dust collector motor. I made such a system once that also opened a damper (using solenoids) in the collector pipe for that machine. We had to put a spring loaded dump valve near the collector to keep the pipes from collapsing when the damper would slam shut as the machine was turned off. HTH

--

Reply to
edard

If the dust collector and the machine run on 110 and draw less than 15 amps between them you can get such a device at Sears for about 30 bucks IIRC. Otherwise it's basically just a relay that's energized when you turn on the switch.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you have 220, you can pick up a contactor and remote x-10 contact switch on ebay for about 50-75 dollars. Thats what I use. I just carry the clicker around with me. I turn the machines off and on while setting them and I just leave the DC on. And then there vaccumming the floor. I think this is much better than hard wiring. Think about portable phones. IMHO. Jack

Reply to
jack

I went even cheaper, and it works ok in my one-car garage shop. I put a

4-outlet box on the end of an extension cord. Two of the outlets are wired through a switch at the end of a 10' piece of heavy duty extension cord. Depending on the tool, either the DC or shopvac is plugged into the switched outlet. The switch is mounted on a scrap piece of board, and I clamp it to whatever tool I'm using.

-- Mark

jack wrote:

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I wired micro switches into my blast gates. They run the low voltage (24VDC) of a big relay to turn the DC on/off.

--JD

Reply to
j.duprie

That's what I plan to do.

Do you have any details on specific parts used, modifications made to the blast gates, lessons learned, etc. that you would like to share?

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

I think that is best idea I have heard in long time

Reply to
JLucas ILS