Automatic switch for dust collector

Page 2 of 2

================================I think the original poster was looking for a method to either turn on his DC when he turned on his machine or to turn on the DC when he opened up a blast gate ...NOT a method to remotely turn on just the DC...
I have a bad habit of say using my bandsaw and leaving the blast gate open then 10 minutes later using my tablesaw and after opening that blast gate I have two machines opened...
I had at one time experimented with putting microswitches on each blast gate which allowed me to turn the DC on AND off just by opening the blast gate... There is a company who makes these BUT oh MY the price they wanted...
I used Radio scacks micro switches and a 12 volt transformer from an old furnace and it worked... but when i completely redid my shop I never got around to hooking it up...
For someone in the electronics indusrty it really should not be a problem to wire each blast gate up so that the DC comes on when any gate is opened ...and shuts off when all the gates are closed...
I have my DC directly wired (220) and have 4 regular switches mounted in the low ceiling in my shop...no matter where I am standing in the shop I can reach one without taking more then 3 steps... beats the remote that is never in my pocket when I want it...
Bob Griffiths
Olebiker wrote:

Wow! That's an entirely different animal from the unit I saw. That should be plenty for up to 2HP and maybe a little more.
I'm going to go look for one! Hopefully they'll carry them for other purposes outside of Christmas season.
Thanks, Tom
there is a problem with such a system too. you don't want your dc turning on and off more then a few times in a hour. baldor recommends no more then 6 times a hour. there is a lot of heat buildup starting a motor. I just use a remote to turn my system on and off. that way I can turn it off when I am done not when I shut a gate.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

It is a *simple* device. consists of about 3 components: 1) a current sensor. e.g. an inductive pick-up similar to those used in 'clamp on' ammeters. 2) "something" to sense when there is sufficient current flow to indicate that a device is running. This can be as simple as a *one*transistor* 'switch'. 3) a relay to switch the DC on. needs to have a 'sensitive' coil, and high power ratings on the contacts. OR you can use two relays -- a light duty one, to switch the high-power one.
The schematic is "Connect part (1) to part (2) to part (3)"
If the above is "insufficiently detailed" for you, you are better off _buying_ a pre-made assembly.
Thank you for all your replies. From what i can read, the subjet is not so 'obvious'. Particularly as we are working with the main line, it is not as easy as with low voltage (OK, i know the principle as described previously : current sensor, level detector, relay for switching and delay on swith off of the router, sander ,...). So if we want a design working directly on the main line voltage with few component, ... not so easy! As i'm living in Europe and that it is almost impossible to receive the WOODWORKER magazine, i would be very pleased to receive a copy (scan on .pdf, .jpg, ...) of this particular article your are talking about. I know it is not compliant with the copyright laws, but in my particular situation, i think we can do an 'exeption'! Many thanks by advance.
Didier
d2 wrote:

Why? A few turns around the line carrying the controlling load (saw, say) to a low-voltage transister to control a switching relay...what's so hard? As simple as a 555 for delay control should suffice.