Automatic switch for dust collector

Page 1 of 2
Dear all,
I sent a message few days ago in order to find informations on 'automatic switch for a dust collector system'. I would like to thanks all the woodworker who gave me helpful informations. The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a schematic. If anyone can help, i would be very pleased. (Perhaps i should try on an another group, an electronic one but i'm sure that some of you are very good woodworkers AND electronician ...)
Thanks by advance.
Didier
I built my router table with a switched outlet in parallel with the outlet for the router. When the switch is turned on, both outlets go live and the router turns on. A shop vac, plugged into the other outlet and left "on" comes on when the outlet goes live. You should be able to figure it out, I don't have a schematic.
Steve

d2 wrote: ...

I don't have a schematic at hand but if you're in the "electronic industry" it shouldn't be much of a challenge, I'd think.. :)
All you need is a current-sensitive relay w/ a time-delay
I've often thought the automatic switches for a DC system (in a home shop anyway) were a little bit of overkill. I just have my plugged into an X2 type remote control system. I keep the remote in my shop apron and can turn it on from anywhere in the shop (as long as I have the apron on). Works for me anyway.
Gary in KC

I bot a remote control switch for my dust collecter at Home Depot for $15. Much easier than building one.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

While waiting for SWMBO the other day in a mall, I excaped to the bookstore and one of the current wooddorkers magazines had an article on this with schematics, drawings and recommendations. I don't know the mag name, I looked at a few in the century it took her to finish her search. Jack

Woodwork, either Dec 2004 or Feb 2005. Complete schematics. And an update /revision in the 'letters' portion as well. No web presence.
Patriarch, not building one any time soon

October '04 (#89). Unfortunately it's not about auto switches but for a magnetic starter. I looked through the index of articles to Woodwork and didn't see anything for auto switches.
____

Feb '05 (#91)((latest issue). "Automating Your Dust Collector", Robert Reed. 5 pages, including schematics and photos, on building a tool-sensing DC power control system.
Patriarch

Oooooooooooo! Did I get that one?! Has it been out long? My MIL gives me a multi-year gift subscription for my bday and this year there seemed to be a slight mixup with getting the renewal correctly credited. I'm gonna have to hunt around for it and call if I can't locate mine. Thanks.
____

Apr '05, #92, came in today's mail, if that helps any...
Digging through the pile on the shelf under the display Stanley transitional jack plane caused me to realize just what a fine magazine this is, and how many neat projects there have been over the past three years that are on my 'wannado' list.
Patriarch

After frantically hunting under the bed, both couches, and the stack of papers-that-should-have-been-thrown-away-but-have-yet-to-make-it-to-the-r ecycle-can-that-accumulate-by-the-phone, I finally found #91 under a couple papers on my desk. Huh, that would have likely been the most likely place to look but, no, I gotta crawl around looking under dust ruffles and such...
I agree wholeheartedly about the quality and appeal of Woodwork. This past fall I dropped my subscription to Fine Woodworking after 5 years. In my view it's morphed into one continuous tool or finish test after another with articles that don't go into any depth or offer variety of the woodworking world. The worst was the article on knots (of the rope variety, not wood) and how to tie loads securely. Woodwork always has at least one profile article on someone in the craft plus furniture and turning. They frequently run something on international issues and interests and a little editorial on art, design and creativity.
When FWW sent my renewal bill I wrote them a note explaining why I wouldn't be reupping this year and specifically mentioned my satistaction with Woodwork as well as recommending that the editors study the first 20 years of Fine Woodworking to see how much they've changed their content and focus.
____

Fine Woodworking has an article from August 2005 issue on building an automatic switch titled "Dust Detector". It can be purchased on-line from the Fine Woodworking Archive:
http://www.taunton.com/store/shoppingcart/online_selection_validation.asp?ID 1143066&TYPE=A
Its also included in their 2004 edition of their book Small Woodworking Shops.
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Gee. I haven't seen that issue yet. ;-)
Patriarch

Broke your TARDUS, did you? <grin>

I just rec'd my issue of #92, April '05 - whew. Looks like my renewal got straightened out as my new expiration date is Feb. '07 (boy, doesn't that sound like a long way off). Thank you Dia (my MIL).
Thumbing through the mag I spotted a page announcing their new website:
<http://www.woodwork-mag.com
It's good to see them finally having a web presence - I guess better late than never. I'm surprised they got away with it for so long.
____

I bought a remote control device sold to control Christmas lights. It cost about $12 at Lowe's last Christmas. Works like a charm. I just clip it to my apron.
Dick Durbin
Olebiker wrote:

It
Hey Dick,
You and Steve need to check the current rating on those low-cost remotes. They may not be able to handle the amps required by even the smaller dust collectors.
Overloading the cheaper device will most likely shorten it's life, which is tolerable because it's cheap enough to replace every year or so. But...the WORST case possibility is that it will get hot or short out and cause a fire.
I had the same thought, but rejected it for this reason. The amp rating of the switch I saw was very low. This also explains why switches designed for higher powered appliances (such as the Long Ranger) cost in the $45 - 55 range.
Tom
Olebiker wrote:

It
Hey Dick,
You and Steve need to check the current rating on those low-cost remotes. They may not be able to handle the amps required by even the smaller dust collectors.
Overloading the cheaper device will most likely shorten it's life, which is tolerable because it's cheap enough to replace every year or so. But...the WORST case possibility is that it will get hot or short out and cause a fire.
I had the same thought, but rejected it for this reason. The amp rating of the switch I saw was very low. This also explains why switches designed for higher powered appliances (such as the Long Ranger) cost in the $45 - 55 range.
Tom
It's 13 amps.