Automatic switch for dust collector

Dear all,

I sent a message few days ago in order to find informations on 'automatic switch for a dust collector system'. I would like to thanks all the woodworker who gave me helpful informations. The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a schematic. If anyone can help, i would be very pleased. (Perhaps i should try on an another group, an electronic one but i'm sure that some of you are very good woodworkers AND electronician ...)

Thanks by advance.

Didier

Reply to
d2

I built my router table with a switched outlet in parallel with the outlet for the router. When the switch is turned on, both outlets go live and the router turns on. A shop vac, plugged into the other outlet and left "on" comes on when the outlet goes live. You should be able to figure it out, I don't have a schematic.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

d2 wrote: ...

I don't have a schematic at hand but if you're in the "electronic industry" it shouldn't be much of a challenge, I'd think.. :)

All you need is a current-sensitive relay w/ a time-delay

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I've often thought the automatic switches for a DC system (in a home shop anyway) were a little bit of overkill. I just have my plugged into an X2 type remote control system. I keep the remote in my shop apron and can turn it on from anywhere in the shop (as long as I have the apron on). Works for me anyway.

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

While waiting for SWMBO the other day in a mall, I excaped to the bookstore and one of the current wooddorkers magazines had an article on this with schematics, drawings and recommendations. I don't know the mag name, I looked at a few in the century it took her to finish her search. Jack

Reply to
Jack

I bot a remote control switch for my dust collecter at Home Depot for $15. Much easier than building one.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

I bought a remote control device sold to control Christmas lights. It cost about $12 at Lowe's last Christmas. Works like a charm. I just clip it to my apron.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

Hey Dick,

You and Steve need to check the current rating on those low-cost remotes. They may not be able to handle the amps required by even the smaller dust collectors.

Overloading the cheaper device will most likely shorten it's life, which is tolerable because it's cheap enough to replace every year or so. But...the WORST case possibility is that it will get hot or short out and cause a fire.

I had the same thought, but rejected it for this reason. The amp rating of the switch I saw was very low. This also explains why switches designed for higher powered appliances (such as the Long Ranger) cost in the $45 - 55 range.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Hey Dick,

You and Steve need to check the current rating on those low-cost remotes. They may not be able to handle the amps required by even the smaller dust collectors.

Overloading the cheaper device will most likely shorten it's life, which is tolerable because it's cheap enough to replace every year or so. But...the WORST case possibility is that it will get hot or short out and cause a fire.

I had the same thought, but rejected it for this reason. The amp rating of the switch I saw was very low. This also explains why switches designed for higher powered appliances (such as the Long Ranger) cost in the $45 - 55 range.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

"Jack" wrote in news:3yTLd.5833$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com:

Woodwork, either Dec 2004 or Feb 2005. Complete schematics. And an update /revision in the 'letters' portion as well. No web presence.

Patriarch, not building one any time soon

Reply to
Patriarch

October '04 (#89). Unfortunately it's not about auto switches but for a magnetic starter. I looked through the index of articles to Woodwork and didn't see anything for auto switches.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

It's 13 amps.

Reply to
Olebiker

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Feb '05 (#91)((latest issue). "Automating Your Dust Collector", Robert Reed. 5 pages, including schematics and photos, on building a tool-sensing DC power control system.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

there is a problem with such a system too. you don't want your dc turning on and off more then a few times in a hour. baldor recommends no more then 6 times a hour. there is a lot of heat buildup starting a motor. I just use a remote to turn my system on and off. that way I can turn it off when I am done not when I shut a gate.

Reply to
Steve Knight

================================= I think the original poster was looking for a method to either turn on his DC when he turned on his machine or to turn on the DC when he opened up a blast gate ...NOT a method to remotely turn on just the DC...

I have a bad habit of say using my bandsaw and leaving the blast gate open then 10 minutes later using my tablesaw and after opening that blast gate I have two machines opened...

I had at one time experimented with putting microswitches on each blast gate which allowed me to turn the DC on AND off just by opening the blast gate... There is a company who makes these BUT oh MY the price they wanted...

I used Radio scacks micro switches and a 12 volt transformer from an old furnace and it worked... but when i completely redid my shop I never got around to hooking it up...

For someone in the electronics indusrty it really should not be a problem to wire each blast gate up so that the DC comes on when any gate is opened ...and shuts off when all the gates are closed...

I have my DC directly wired (220) and have 4 regular switches mounted in the low ceiling in my shop...no matter where I am standing in the shop I can reach one without taking more then 3 steps... beats the remote that is never in my pocket when I want it...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

It is a *simple* device. consists of about 3 components: 1) a current sensor. e.g. an inductive pick-up similar to those used in 'clamp on' ammeters. 2) "something" to sense when there is sufficient current flow to indicate that a device is running. This can be as simple as a *one*transistor* 'switch'. 3) a relay to switch the DC on. needs to have a 'sensitive' coil, and high power ratings on the contacts. OR you can use two relays -- a light duty one, to switch the high-power one.

The schematic is "Connect part (1) to part (2) to part (3)"

If the above is "insufficiently detailed" for you, you are better off _buying_ a pre-made assembly.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Wow! That's an entirely different animal from the unit I saw. That should be plenty for up to 2HP and maybe a little more.

I'm going to go look for one! Hopefully they'll carry them for other purposes outside of Christmas season.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Oooooooooooo! Did I get that one?! Has it been out long? My MIL gives me a multi-year gift subscription for my bday and this year there seemed to be a slight mixup with getting the renewal correctly credited. I'm gonna have to hunt around for it and call if I can't locate mine. Thanks.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Apr '05, #92, came in today's mail, if that helps any...

Digging through the pile on the shelf under the display Stanley transitional jack plane caused me to realize just what a fine magazine this is, and how many neat projects there have been over the past three years that are on my 'wannado' list.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Fine Woodworking has an article from August 2005 issue on building an automatic switch titled "Dust Detector". It can be purchased on-line from the Fine Woodworking Archive:

http://www.taunt> >

Reply to
JBC77